12: Mutual Care

When Shen Shao returned to Peng County, the news that he won first place on the high school entrance exam had spread all over the county. Barely two days after he returned to the village, Shen QuanFa, the secretary of the village committee, came to his door with the village director and accountant.

If you had to pick which person on the village committee was the happiest about Shen Shao taking first place, it was definitely Shen QuanFa. He'd worked hard behind the scenes to give Shen Shao village subsidies in recent years. For example, for holidays like the Mid-Autumn Festival, New Year's Day, and the Spring Festival, the village would send an extra allowance for living expenses to families in poverty and elderly receiving the five guarantees. He always argued for Shen Shao to be included on the list.

Now Shen Shao had won first place in the county, which finally shut up the people who talked about him behind his back. If the village wasn't going to help such a capable child, who were they going to help?

"Xiao Shao ah." Shen QuanFa looked at Shen Shao and thought of the stories he'd read about the Qin Dynasty, feeling a little like Lü BuWei. At a glance, he could tell that Shen Shao was an unusually good kid. It made sense to form a good relationship with him now, so that when Shen Shao went on to a brilliant and prosperous future, he might remember the kindness a little. "When our village heard you won first place in the county, everyone was excited. The village committee came to congratulate you on behalf of the villagers."

"Thank you, Uncle Shen. Thank you, everyone." Shen Shao smiled at the other members of the village committee. He brought in some tea for them to drink. "Uncles, you didn't have to do all this for something so small. I'm sorry to trouble you."

"We're all from Shenjia Village, and you're a descendant of the village. As elders we're happy to see the younger generation striving for success." Shen QuanFa expressed it in a complimentary way, describing their actions as an elder's concern for the younger generation, rather than pitying Shen Shao because he had no father or mother. "By the way, which high school are you going to enroll in?"

"I was just about to tell Uncle Shen about that," Shen Shao said with a happy expression. "I'm going to school in Furong City in a few days. I hope you can look after the house." He turned his head and looked around at the somewhat empty room. "There's nothing of value here, but still..."

Before he finished his words, the mood of the people in the room sank. After a moment, Shen QuanFa broke the awkward silence. "Furong City? You're going so far away?" In his imagination, it was already wonderful if Shen Shao could get into Guo City No. 1 High School. He never thought Shen Shao would go to high school in Furong City, the provincial capital.

"A few days ago, I went to Furong No. 3 Senior High to take the admission test for external students, and I passed." Shen Shao scratched his head. "I might not have much time to come back during the next few years, so I hope my uncles will help take care of my house."

"You mean the best high school in the province?" Shen QuanFa's eyes lit up. He looked at Shen Shao like he was seeing a future big shot. "Our Xiao Shao is on the path to success. You even got into Furong No. 3 High School!"

The other village committee members were excited too. If Shen Shao was admitted to Furong No. 3 High School today, in the future he might go on to Q University or B University. This was a child from their village. Maybe someday...

As the saying goes, don't bully a poor young man. Fortunately they'd always been polite to Shen Shao and hadn't offended him. Otherwise it was impossible to say how much they might regret it in the future. When they thought of Shen JianBing, who abandoned his wife and didn't want his own son, they inwardly shook their heads. To think that man didn't want such a good son. He was out of his mind.