xxxix. Important

중요한

중요한

MINA'S EYES FLUTTERED open to see the familiar, bland ceiling of a hospital room, monotone in color and dry. She almost couldn't make out the reason she was laying down in a hospital bed, until she shifted slightly and felt the soreness around her neck.

As she winced, she looked around, her eyes landing on a familiar, yet surprising figure, that was her worried father. Yeojeong stood behind him, along with Kangho as he looked down at her with deep concern and sorrow. Mina widened her eyes at the sight, furrowing her eyebrows as she tried to comprehend the situation. She must have been dreaming; could her father really be worried?

"F-Father?" she sputtered, trying her best to sit up. Sungyun took a hesitant step forward, his hands instinctively reaching to help her, but retreating when she sat up just fine. "What are you doing here?"

"Are you okay, Mina?" he asked, his eyes scanning her, along with her neck that had bruises of fingerprints planted on her skin.

"I-Yes, father," she swallowed, her eyes moving toward Yeojeong beside him, who had carefully put her hand on Sungyun's arm.

"Your friends want to see you," Yeojeong told Mina, but it was more for Sungyun, who had nodded and allowed himself to let his secretary escort him out of the room, Kangho following after sending her a small smile.

Mina blinked as she let out a breath, her mind not quite wrapping around the encounter. The look in her father's eyes; if she had known better, he looked sad, almost guilty that she was in pain. It confused her.

The sound of the door opening grabbed her attention, and there stood Bitna, holding the door open as she looked at her best friend with relief.

"Minnie," she sighed out and stepped toward her. "You scared the shit out of me! Don't do that again."

Mina tilted her head, an amusing grin tugging at her lips. "Sure, I'll keep that in mind for the next time one of my friends becomes evil."

Bitna let out a sigh, just a bit glad to see that Mina could still laugh. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. It doesn't really hurt anymore, and I'm pretty sure these bruises will be gone by tomorrow," Mina explained, tracing her fingers along the skin of her neck.

"You're overly optimistic sometimes, you know that?" Bitna rolled her eyes. "Everyone's outside. We even saw your dad, he looked pretty tense."

"Did Jungkook see him?" Mina raised her eyebrows. She couldn't imagine what that encounter must have been like.

"Jungkook didn't come."

"What?" asked Mina in confusion.

"He disappeared right before lunch period a few hours ago, Namjoon said he probably went home because he felt sick," she explained. Mina couldn't help but feel a twinge of hurt in her chest. But who was she to expect him to come anyway? It's not like he was her boyfriend. She sighed.