Chapter 20: "It must be difficult for you ..."

She started to talk about when she was sixteen. Her father introduced her to Martin, and he didn't believe Joy was capable of taking over the business. When Martin married Joy after she graduated, Martin would take over the company. Joy feels devastated hearing the news.

I carefully listened to her story even though I already knew all of it.

"Have you talked to him about it?" I asked.

"Yes, I have, and he wouldn't listen," Joy said as she leaned her head on my shoulders. We faced the window as we saw the sun had already set. It was beautiful. Joy's appearance calms my heart even though it bounces hard.

She continues, "if you think I'm the only person who shuts myself from anyone. You should see my father. He shut himself from anyone, including himself. I can't even read his mind. One time when he was angry, the next day, he acted like nothing ever happened."

"He doesn't even need a lottery. He's already rich," I said as I tried to light up the mood and heard the cutest giggle I've ever heard from Joy.

"Thank God I have a brother like Dion. He's sweet, and he's always tried to defend me from anyone, including Martin or anyone who wanted to get closer with me," Joy said with a bitter laugh, "and weirdly, he always talks about you. He always asked me to invite you to the Thanksgiving dinner and how he wanted me to take you as my date in his wedding."

"Why?" I asked as I couldn't control my smile, but it was weird for her brother to keep asking me, "I mean, I would love to, but you have a fiancee."

"That's what I said to him, and don't get me wrong, I'd love to take you with me at my brother's wedding," Joy said as she rolled her eyes.

"Seriously?"

"Yes, I mean, I'm not fond of my family, so it'd be nice to have someone I can talk to- other than my brother," Joy said.

"Are you sure, or you're just drunk?"

Joy rolled her eyes, "I can't get drunk from beers."

"You can, though."

"Yes, but it's nothing compared to whiskey."

"Obviously," I said and laughed. I looked down at Joy and took in her beauty, "thank you for sharing this with me."

"Why are you thanking me? I should be the thankful one."

"It must be difficult for you to talk about it finally," I said as I remembered when it was the first time she met Martin and his family. She thought to herself how long she would hide it from anyone.

Joy froze for a second until she hid her face in the crook of my neck. I heard her sniffing as she snaked her hands around my neck. I can feel her emotions flowing through my veins. Her tears also made my eyes watery, how her whimpering caused my heartache, and her touch sent shivers around my skin. I bring my hand on her back and brush it back and forth for comfort, "If I may ask, why do you hide your life from anyone?"

"Because I don't want anyone to think I'm weird to have a crazy father and a fiancee at such a young age," she uttered.

That explains a lot. I'm the only person who knows why she hides it from everyone.

I took her face and looked over her cute puffy eyes and red nose. I gently caressed her cheeks, "how do you feel after telling me some of your stories?"

Joy wiped her tears and raised an eyebrow, "how did you know it's not even half of my story?"

"I told you. I know who you are, Jocelyn Wright," I smiled at her as she smiled back. I leaned closer as I landed my lips on her forehead. When I leaned back, I could feel my finger shaking hard, and my heart was about to explode. I wanted so badly to kiss her lips, but I thought she wasn't ready yet. She's not mentally stable now, and I will wait until she's ready.