Thirty Eight

Arden
•••

   I am feeling the way I did when I was walking to my execution.

   He could know, that wasn't the problem. The only problem was what he would do. Kill me on the spot? I couldn't protect myself without my powers. I had made sure to bring a knife hidden in my nightgown, but that would do nothing against him.

   The night is cold, I try not to shiver. I should've put on coat, or something else warmer. I walk around the garden, trying to figure out exactly where I was supposed to go. My heart drops at the sight of a dark cloaked figure. Sitting down on a bench, facing away.

   I near it, clutching the knife hidden in my robe. The figure sits up straighter, hearing my arrival. I could stab him, right now. Maybe he would die, maybe this was too perfect of a chance. I should, I wanted to. What stopped me was the figure reaching for the hood of their cloak, pulling it back.

   Long brown hair falls, hair that matched mine. "Put away the knife Arden." Skyler says. How did she? She turns, looking at me with a disappointed look.

   "What are you doing here? Where is our farther?"

   "We have company." She says, looking past me. I turn around, not being able to see anyone. "Look closely," she says. "Behind the bushes, near the trees. You guys can come out." She says.

   "How did you see them?" I ask, surprised to see Will and Christian walking out. How did I miss them? I should have been more alert. But I also shouldn't be surprised they were there.

   "I didn't, I could feel their heartbeat." She says, yawing and standing up. "Something you could probably do with your powers, if you tried."

   "I haven't had really a chance to practice them." I mumble, lifting the bracelet.

    "Wow," Christian looks at us with wide eyes. "There's two of you. Isn't that great?" He smiles jokingly.

Will narrows his eyes at his friend. "Why would that be great?"

Skyler walks up to the prince, tilting her head an examining him. "I've heard a lot about you, Prince William."

Her tone would make any guy scared. It even made Christian noticeably gulp. But no, it made him smirk. He takes my sister's challenge with a smile, and takes a step closer. "Have you now?"

She doesn't say anything at first, examining him from head to toe. Eyes resting on his smirk, the one dimple. She steps back, looking at me. "I understand now."

"Understand what?" Christian whispers to Will. Please don't answer that. Please don't answer.

I didn't know exactly what she was talking about. But I knew it had something to be about Will. Was it his charm? I've talked to her about that before. That he has a way of just pulling you in.

I turn and look at her. "How did you know Will wasn't sleeping in my room?"

She sighs, "Our father had told me. He was going to come himself, but you know how he is." I thought I did. "He didn't want to come if he was going to make, well a scene."

"He's angry with me?" I ask.

"Different rooms Arden. Why would two people in love be sharing different rooms?" She says it as if we were stupid.

"Maybe we were waiting until marriage to share a room?" I mutter, crossing my arms. Christian snorts and I shoot him a dirty look.

"He wants you to come back."

My mouth gapes open, "Because we don't share a room? That's ridiculous."

"He thinks they don't trust you. He doesn't quite know that you're against him, but he thinks something is up."

"But why?" Not sharing a room is not enough a reason. He could think it's my choice, why did that one thing matter?

"Your bracelet." She says, looking down at my wrist. Fuck, I had completely forgotten about it. "You have to go back."

I can't go back, I refuse to be stuck with him. I can't leave when I have my own plans.

"I can't."

"He will force you." She says, "He can force you." She reminds me. The bloodstone, I had completely forgotten about the bloodstone.

I turn and look at Will. His eyes held no emotion. He didn't want me to know what he was thinking, so he didn't show me. But I had known he had put all the pieces together. "I have to go back and get it. Get the stone."
•••