The Serpent's Pass

A waterfall cascades into a deep pool, and we see Aang and his friends enjoying some off-time. Sokka was sitting on a rock studying a scroll while Momo observes from his shoulder. Toph splashes her feet from the pool's edge on a rock, Suhara sitting in the water below her, while Aang swims on his back. Aang encases his body in a block of ice, floating along peacefully.

Katara: Waterbending bomb! Yeah!

Katara performs a tumbling cannonball into the pool. She sends up a massive column of water that washes Aang ashore, shattering his ice block. As the water drenches them all, Toph and Aang laugh with delight, while Suhara shakes off his head along.

Sokka: (Holding out a dripping map) Sure, five-thousand-year-old maps from the spirit library, just splash some water on 'em.

Katara: Sorry.

Katara emerges from the pool, wringing water out of her hair. She then uses a water bending technique to draw the water out of the map Sokka was holding up. Everyone gathers around as Sokka spreads the map out on the ground.

Aang: So, did you figure out what route we're gonna take?

Sokka: (Pointing out map features) Okay. We just got out of the desert, so we must be around here, and we need to go to Be Sing Se, which is here. It looks like the only passage connecting the South to the North is this sliver of land called "The Serpent's Pass".

Toph: You're sure that's the best way to go?

Suhara: That sounds like a deadly route if you ask me.

Sokka: It's the only way, I mean it's not like we have Appa to fly us there.

Katara: (Hushed voice) Shush up about Appa. Can't you at least try to be sensitive?

Sokka and Katara glance up at Aang.

Aang: (Calmly) Katara, it ok. I know I was upset about losing Appa before, but I just want to focus on getting to Ba Sing Se and telling the Earth King about the solar eclipse.

Katara: (Surprised) Oh, well ok. I'm glad you're doing better.

Sokka: (Rolling the map) Then to Ba Sing Se we go, no more distractions.

Just as Sokka finishes saying that a trio of Earth Kingdom civilians appears.

???: Hello there fellow refugees!

Sokka's expression changed to consternation. The groups gather in conversation.

Aang: So, are you guys headed to Ba Sing Se too?

Than: Sure are, we're trying to get there before my wife Ying has her baby. (Rubs her large belly)

Katara: Great, we can travel through the Serpent's Pass together.

Ying: (Fearfully) The Serpent's Pass?! Only the truly desperate take that deadly route.

Toph: Deadly route.

Suhara: Called it!

Toph: (Whacks Sokka's arm painfully) Great pick, Sokka.

Sokka: Well, we are desperate.

Than: You should come with us to Full Moon Bay. Ferries take refugees across the lake. It's the fastest way to Ba Sing Se.

Ying: And it's hidden, so the Fire Nation can't find it.

Katara: (Sarcastically) Hmmm, peaceful ferry ride... or deadly pass?

Suhara: I think we know the answer.

~ ~ ~

Full Moon Bay, where three large wooden ships are anchored past a fortified wall. Behind the harbor wall, hundreds of people have gathered on a stone landing. Earth Kingdom guards stand at attention. One of them bends down a wall section behind them, revealing a hidden tunnel. Our heroes and their new traveling companions emerge from the tunnel.