Final Chapter

So the war ended...yet no peace was ever found. We went from one fear to the next it seemed, only now their was no one left to protect the peace. The Jedi had thrown themselves into a needless war and now paid the ultimate price. Had we stepped back at the start, had we dug to the root rather than saw an enemy in other nations perhaps a resolution could have been found. Alas instead here we were at the end of an era.

It's true, the republic was far from the perfection I dreamt of as a child. There was crime and probity, treachery and corruption. But compared with a world ruled by the sith it was golden at least to my eyes. This Empire as it was to be called, this totalitarian dictatorship run by the dark lord hidden beneath our noses, it was no place for change or freedom. It was a state of subjugation and terror.

Exactly the place I'd hoped our children would be spared from.

Our children Anakin and I were not permitted to see grow up now, children that had been taken from us and placed in the care of friends instead. That was how dangerous this reality had become, that merely being together put out family at risk. At least we could hold hold someday this Empire may fall and that we could be together once more, but until that day came our children would grow up calling another pair their parents...

Ari was the hardest to leave even if it were to the care of Padme and Fives. She was the eldest and seemed to know in her heart we wouldn't be coming back. The way she looked to me when Padme carried her from the ship, that was a memory sure to haunt me for years to come. My daughter, the little girl born into the light that terrible day I lost my padawan, i had to say goodbye to her...

Ari Amidala was her name now, sister to Felix Amidala...

She wasn't the only one of course, mere hours after their birth Anakin and I had to say goodbye to our twins also. Not even a day old and they were ripped away along with that happy ending I dreamt of. Luke went with Obi wan and Satine back to Tattooine, Leia with Bail Organa and his wife on Alderaan. Of course they would be well taken care of but it hurt knowing they wouldn't know us as their parents. That we would t be the ones to raise them...

Though it weren't as if we had no one to raise. No, Anakin and I hadn't been sent into hiding alone, we had the stolen daughter of my former master to care for. I still could t believe my master crazy delusion had been right all along - that the council really had stolen her daughter and hidden her in Naboo. Of all the despicable things to do that had to be the cruelest. They set her upon this path she'd taken, it was entirely their fault and she had every right to be mad.

She had every right to have fallen into the darkness...

Kira was a sweet kid, a year older than Ari and a little less of a happy virus but I had to be bias. She was sweet and young and deserved to be with her mother as much as our children deserved to be with us. However unfortunately that wasn't safe, with her mother she'd be corrupted or killed by Sidious. With us she stood a chance of a standard childhood, and perhaps when the time was right she could be the one to bring her mother back from the darkness...

I had to have hope that would be true...because if I couldn't pull her back then I needed to believe someone else could...

Kira could be the key to bringing down the empire, though that was a lot of pressure for a child. Maybe instead Ahsoka would find a way to bring them down - or Cal or Damien, the trio seemed to know far more than the rest of us combined. Yes maybe they could succeed where we failed, it was worth a thought at least.

There was still hope, hope for rebellions to build themselves upon, and we would fight on their side every step of the way.

Though now Anakin and myself had travelled to the furthest corner of the galaxy, to a world I'd thought I'd left behind years ago, we would still support those who fought in the name of the republic. We were all still united in our beliefs the republic could be revived - no amount of terror from the empire would change that fact. So long as one of us remained breathing we would fight for a better future, for a future where or children would see peace.

That we all swore the very day we separated.

Snow, ice, pale shades of purple and blue, that's what surrounded me, little flakes drifting down all around as I stood, or maybe just watched from the snowy plains.  It was strange, I knew this place, and I knew the presence I felt nearby...the warm, reassuring presence...

As the wind blew by against my face I noticed my hair was longer, and my attire was a type I'd never worn before this day, a heavy dark grey dress and fur trimmed cloak. I looked down at my hands, frowning at the few wrinkles I saw, and...my ring.
As I was recalling the familiarity of my settings I saw a flash, the world spinning around me like the twirling snowflakes.

Flashes of blue, green, pink and red filled my sights, now clear enough to recall as memories...

Blue
"I will protect you!"
Anakin...

Green
"I fear this is bigger than all of us..."
Nial...

Pink
"The Jedi are nothing but liars!"
Kaida...

Blue
"Come back to us! Come back to me!"
Myself...

Red
"Enough! The Jedi betrayed me don't you betray me to!"
Darth Izar-Erori

I fell to my knees, the cold snow numbing through to my skin as I cradled my head in pain. Everything was so clear now. As I cried from the pain I heard someone approach through the snow and crouch by me, wrapping an arm round over my shoulders and holding me close.

"Nightmares again?"

Anakin...

"...Yes...just like the one I had when...when we were on Naboo, back before wars and betrayals...when everything was still so wonderful" I whispered feeling my voice crack as I remembered those wonderful days of peace. I felt a light kiss plant itself on to top of my head.

"Don't worry love, it'll get better..." Anakin whispered to me softly, caressing a hand against the side of my face. After that I turned and pulled myself into his chest, burying my tears in the chest area of his jacket, crying my heart out for all the reasons I now had too...

I was born the harsh and unforgiving cold of Okarius. and here I returned to weep amongst the ice, my only warmth being that of my dear desert boy...

————————-
Thank you for reading this story, please follow on to Chasing Speeders for the story of what went on to happen with Ahsoka and Cal or skip to The Legacy of the Force Bound for the next part to this adventure.
I hope you enjoyed this journey, please do comment once you e reached this point with your favourite part of the story or any thoughts on the ending.

This story was started 28th January 2020 and finished 6th May 2022

Thank you