Surprise

This is a made-up chapter like the Tale of Suhara, wherein the Fire Nation everyone has a moment of some sort. Now my OC has his own before The Runaway chapter.

~ ~ ~

It has been about two weeks since Team Avatar arrived in the Fire Nation. Katara had helped out a fishing village. Sokka had learned more about swordsmanship, he even got a new sword made out of a meteorite, Suhara upgraded his sword with the same meteorite, and Toph had a bracelet of the same material. Also being chased by a combustion bender and learning about the Fire Nation from Avatar Roku. Aang was doing great with his water and earth bending training was even beginning to master some of the basics of fire bending. But Suhara hadn't done much of importance.

Nothing special had happened to him, besides his sword. And he was slightly bothered by this. He was home, but home didn't feel the same. He wanted to go back to the palace and truly be home, but that was impossible until Ozai's defeated. He was practicing his fire bending every night, but the Fire Nation just didn't feel the same. Toph noticed her boyfriend's emotional state one night and decided to ask him about it.

Toph: You all right?

Suhara: Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just... restless, I guess.

Toph: Why's that?

Suhara: It's been four years since I'm finally back and home just doesn't feel like... home anymore. I thought maybe practicing the fire bending that my father taught me would help, but it hasn't done much good.

Toph then thought for a second and came up with an idea.

Toph: Maybe you just need a break. Tell you what; tomorrow, you and I can go into town and look around. I think you just need a day to forget about the Firelord and all that. You need to take some time to relax a bit.

Suhara: Yeah, maybe. But we still need to stay on schedule.

Toph: We have to stay here pretty much all day tomorrow anyway. We've got to pick up some stuff while we're here. We'll talk with the others, I'm sure they'll be okay with us taking a look around.

Suhara: All right then. It's a date.

Toph: (Smile) That sounds nice.

~ ~ ~

In Iroh's prison cell, the aging fire bender looks out the barred window and into the night sky.

Ming: Dinnertime, General Iroh.

He looks toward the door as a guard brings him his dinner.

Ming: What's the matter?

Iroh: Ming, what day is it today?

Ming: It's four days after the summer solstice. Why do you want to know?

Iroh: It's almost time, then.

Ming: Time for what?

Iroh smiles, a tear rolled down his cheek.

Iroh: Tomorrow, is a special day for me and my son.

~ ~ ~

Suhara wakes up to the sound of water flowing.

Katara: You're doing great, Aang. Keep it up, just like that.

He sits up and looks out the mouth of the cave to see Katara and Aang practicing some water bending. He stands up and walks to join them.

Suhara: Hey guys! Getting in some early-morning practice?

Aang: Yeah. But we're busy the rest of the day, so it's the only chance we're gonna get.

Katara: By the way, have some fun with Toph today. We can all take care of the heavy lifting and stuff.