Firebending Masters

At night, Suhara was sitting next to Toph, eating stew when Zuko walks into the room as they were all having supper around.

Zuko: Listen, Everybody! I've got some pretty bad news. (He hung his head) I've lost my stuff.

Toph: Don't look at me! I didn't touch your stuff!

Suhara: Why would you?

Zuko: I'm talking about my fire bending. It's gone.

Katara started laughing.

Katara: I'm sorry. I'm just laughing at the irony. You know how it would have been nice for us if you lost your fire bending a long time ago?

Zuko: Well, it's not lost. It's just weaker for some reason.

Katara: Maybe your just not as good as you think you are.

Toph: Ouch.

Suhara: No. I have seen this before. It had to me once as well.

Katara: Your bending was weak as well?

Suhara: Yes. It was when I left Fire Nation. Because of that, my fire bending became weaker. But, I don't know how Zuko's fire bending became weak.

Zuko looked away before turning back.

Zuko: I bet it's because I changed sides.

Katara: That's ridiculous.

Aang: I don't know. Maybe it isn't. Maybe your fire bending comes from rage. And you just don't have enough anger to fuel it the way you used to.

Sokka: So, all we have to do is make Zuko angry. Easy enough.

He began poking Zuko with his sheathed space-sword, pointing and laughing.

Zuko: Okay! Cut it out!

Sokka got so startled that his sword flew into the air, falling back and landing on his head

Zuko: Look, (Pinch the bridge of his nose) even if you're right, I don't want to rely on hate and anger anymore. Like how Suhara does. There has to be another way.

Suhara: If you're want to use fire bending like how I do, you're gonna need to learn to draw it from a different source. The original source.

Sokka: How is he supposed to do that? By jumping into a volcano?!

Toph: No. What Suhara's saying is Zuko needs to go back to whatever the original source of firebending is.

Sokka: So, is it jumping into a volcano?

Toph: Not that he told me. (Sets down the bowl she was eating out of) For earth bending, the original benders were badger moles. One day, when I was little, I ran away and hid in a cave. That's where I met them. They were blind, just like me. So we understood each other. I was able to learn earth bending, not just as a martial art, but as an extension of my senses. For them, the original earth benders, it wasn't just about fighting. It was their way of interacting with the world.

Suhara: (Scoots closer to Toph and rests his head on her head) In a way. I'm glad they found you, otherwise, I would've never met you.

Toph: (Wraps her arms around Suhara) I guess so.

Aang: That's amazing, Toph. I learned from the monks, but the original air benders were the sky bison. (He leans back so that he could see Appa) Maybe you can give me a lesson some time, buddy.

Appa stopped eating for a second to roar in response.

Zuko: Well, that doesn't help me. The original fire benders were the dragons, and they're extinct.