Chapter 13

Shawn pushed some of his curls out of his face, ignoring the odd looks he was getting from other students. His anxiety grew increasingly worse as he made his way to the end of the hall while keeping a tight grip on his bag.

"Why do you look like you just saw a ghost?"

He jumped a few inches in the air, his face going even paler when he realized who it was talking to him.  "You just scared the shit out of me,"

"I called your names a few times while you were working and you didn't answer me," Camila frowned. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," Shawn rocked back and forth on his heels. "Just on edge about everything going on with Cowell,"

"Who isn't? They're being dickheads and bringing everyone in for questioning because they have no real leads. Bunch of fucking egotistical assholes who are just letting a killer roam free."

Shawn stiffened beside her. "They brought you in already?"

"Almost busted down my front door trying to do it, actually,"

"If this is about what I told them—"

"Relax, Shawn," she reassured him. "You told them what you knew, which was the truth. It'd be weird of me to get upset at you for it."

His shoulders slouched and Camila could see the muscles in his neck relaxing. "Did you hear about the new professor they're talking about coming in to replace Cowell?"

"I didn't expect them to be looking for somebody that quick. I just figured they'd push it off until next semester."

"The dean would rather make us all retake the class before letting us pass that easily. She's supposed to be starting next week and has a serious stick up her ass."

"Do you know her name?" Camila stopped walking in the middle of the hall.

"Marielle Guzman," he said after a moment of thinking. "She used to teach at NYU. They worshipped the ground she walked on over there."

"Looks like she'll be in for a big surprise when she realizes all of her students hate criminal law,"

"We hated it cause of Cowell. Maybe she'll be different—better, hopefully."

"You're way too optimistic," Camila quirked an eyebrow at him. "But I'll give her a chance," she nudged him in the side with her elbow, frowning when she sees him slightly wince. "Are you alright?"

"Oh, uh, yeah," Shawn fumbled over his words. "I was carrying some things for my roommate and I slipped,"

Camila made a mental note in her head, humming in acknowledgment. "I hope it's nothing too serious,"

"Just a bruise, nothing I can't handle,"

"Are you going to Jauregui's Halloween party?"

"I didn't even know there was going to be one," he tucked one of his hands into his jean pocket. "How the hell did you find out about it before me?"

"She's my neighbor," Camila answered casually. "And she has a loud ass mouth in the morning. It's hard to not hear her."

"I mean, if it's an open invite party, I'm down. But I thought after what happened with Cowell, parties are a no-go for a while?"

Camila caught the raven-haired woman passing by the two of them through the corner of her eye, heading up the flight of stairs.

"Special exception for this one. I have to run, but I'll send you details about it." She left without hearing anything Shawn had to say, eager to get another glimpse of Lauren.