CHAPTER 59. Can't Cook For Shit

I knew where those shadows came from, and they'd been there since the necromancer died. I just wasn't scared of them anymore.

There was two or three of them overall I think, but I really didn't think they meant me any harm, since all they seemed to do was watch from afar.

Although, it was their first appearance in a while, and I had almost forgotten about them. I knew none of my vampires could see them, and certainly not Faith.

"Can we see if Cyprus can come over?" I asked River suddenly as a movie played on the television. He pulled out his phone and I watched him scroll until he placed it to his ear.

"Yes, I know you hate my guts," River paused and raised his eyebrows. "No, that's not why I'm calling, Raven wants you here," River paused and glanced at me as I leaned over.

"I'll cook him dinner?" I offered loudly and River's lips twitched as he pulled the phone away and pocketed it.

"He'll be over at six, hung up after that," he told me and I faltered as I heard laughter. I glanced over at Lion frowning.

"What are you laughing about?" I demanded, making the vampire grin.

"Making him dinner or poisoning him? You can't cook for shit," Lion told me and I gasped in outrage.

"You did just burn a whole bunch of cakes," Nicholas mused, making me scowl.

"I said I'm going to cook him something!" I snapped and paused when Dune stood and stretched.

"Come on then, I'll help, make sure you don't kill him, Fin, you wanna help?" Dune asked and grinned. "We're the only ones who can really cook around here,"

Fin stood and smiled at me. "I like your cooking," an obvious lie, but I still giggled and reached out, hugging his arm.

"You're my favorite today Fin," I cooed and Cross made a sound in his throat.

"For that?" Cross asked in annoyance and Fallon stood from the couch, kissing my cheek. I grinned.

"Second favorite!" I announced and Fallon looked at Cross with teasing eyes, making Cross lean back into the couch.

"So that's how we're doing this Fallon?" Cross asked and glanced at me. "Raven, have I told how nice your hair is?"

I touched it bashfully. "Aw, thanks, third spot to you,"

River sighed. "I called your brother, where does that leave me?" I blinked.

"Oh, how about four?" I held up four fingers and River fought a smile.

"Fine I suppose,"

"Come on," Dune grabbed my shoulders and turned me towards the kitchen. "I could see world war three breaking out over this joke, off we go, let's find something easy to make,"

"Lips like honey!" Faith shouted from the dining room, making me giggle.

"Five!" I shouted to her.

"Your witty sarcasm astounds me," Nicholas called and I turned my head to gaze at him as I entered the kitchen.

"Six for you!"

Dune let go of my shoulders and stroked the side of my face, making my breath catch. "Love you," he said simply.

"Seven," I whispered and paused when I heard Lion scoff. "You're eight and mean!" I called to Lion, who made no comment back as Dune opened the freezer, pulling out ground beef.

"How does Mexican rice sound?" Dune offered and held the frozen meat. "I'll have to defrost this in the microwave, as much as I hate doing that."

I clapped. "I'll get the beans and salsa from the pantry," I slipped over to the door and opened it, stepping to the cooler space. I ran my eyes over the jars and grabbed a spicy one, also snagging two cans of the refried beans.