Chapter 40

"This is why, I want to file a complaint against him." She repeated.

Sneha's father took a moment before speaking. Her mother and sister were still confused.

"How dare he?" Shankar didn't hide his anger and disappointment.

Sneha then detailed the scenario.

"Did anyone witness it?" Her father asked.

Sneha thought for a while. She was so lost in crying at that moment that she had not really paid attention to it.

"I don't know. It was early morning and no one was on the beach at that time...as far as I remember." She said.

Her father sighed.

"We will go to the police station tomorrow, right, papa?" She asked softly, almost begging him. She wanted to see Viraj being punished for his senseless act so that he doesn't do this with someone else.

"Of course, papa will go with you, didi." Priya interrupted while her mother looked at Shankar in anticipation.

The elders had to think of the situation from many perspectives. If a simple boy had done this unacceptable thing with Sneha, her father would have immediately rushed to the police.

But, this was Viraj Khatri...the mafia don of Mumbai with a chain of businesses at his fingertips. He had the power to bring the entire Bohra family to the roads if he wanted within a snap of his fingers. He could easily kill them and frame it as an accident. He had the power to ruin the lives of both Sneha and Priya and no one would know a thing about it. And this is what scared, Shankar.

"Sneha..." Her father started and she looked at her father expectantly.

Her father looked at her mother once before speaking.

"I will visit Viraj tomorrow, okay? I'll talk to him." He said gently.

Sneha narrowed her brows.

"Why would you meet him? We should just file a complaint and the police will take care of the matter themselves!" Sneha interrupted and Priya nodded furiously.

"And make him angry enough to kill us? You have seen him do that, Sneha. What makes you think he won't hurt us?" Her father knocked sense into her. For him, Sneha and Priya's safety was of utmost importance.

Sneha froze. She hadn't thought over this in this way.

'He wouldn't kill us for this, right!' She thought but then got the answer too. He could!

Sensing her thoughts, her father elaborated.

"You know he is a powerful man, Sneha. His father has huge connections in politics. I don't know why he did this to you, but I'll talk to him. I'll explain the situation to him politely...man to man. I am sure he will understand. Till then, you must stay at home, okay?" Her father asked.

"But, why should I stay at home? I didn't do anything wrong!" She asked sadly, already knowing the answer. Why was it that in such matters, it was always the girl who was punished?

Her father sighed before replying.

"Only for a few days, Sneha. It is for your safety. Please!" Her father requested.

This time, Sneha couldn't hide her tears and a salty drop fell from her eyes.

She hated Viraj even more now. Because of him, she became a prisoner in her own home! And, because it concerned her family's safety, she didn't argue. What if Viraj approached her again in college or library like earlier? She wouldn't be able to fight him, physically or verbally. Currently, her safety was in her home only.