TWENTY-TWO | The Truth And Skittles

fade into you>>>

ATHENA RUSSO:

"There's no point. I killed him."

Silence, shock, and disbelief fills the air between us.

Deep down I'm angry. So angry. Angry at everyone. I'm angry at Bianca. The doctors wouldn't have found the other bruises on me and the scars. She really just had to make things worse for me. I'm angry at my brothers. They shouldn't have found out about this, no one was supposed to, they know my secret that I've desperately been trying to hide. I'm angry at myself. That I didn't fight back hard enough that now everyone will see me as a weak little girl. Who can't defend herself, can't stand up for herself, can't be brave, can't be strong, can't take a joke.

I'll never be the person I want to be.

But right now, I'm patient. Something I've been doing for a very long time. I'm waiting. I'm waiting for Lorenzo to say something. I'm waiting for my brother to say something.

He stares at me, in shock.

He thinks I'm crazy, doesn't he? His little sister confessed she's murdered someone, what is he going to do now? He's probably going to send me away to a mental hospital. I'm going to spend my life in a psych ward for the rest of my life, aren't I? Or jail. Great.

"He tried to kill me. I was only just defending myself," I croak.

I really hope that makes this whole situation better.

He shakes his head and huffs out a laugh. He starts laughing like a psycho. My eyes widen. Why is he laughing? This isn't funny. I've just told him I killed someone. What part of that is funny? He mumbles something to himself before he stands up and leaves.

I sit up and wince when a shooting pain in my back makes me lie back down. I huff, irritated.

Where did he go? Is he going to come back? Is he going to send me away? I knew it. I knew I wasn't going to stay here for long. I should've just kept quiet. Out of all things I could've said instead, I say that. How more of an idiot, can I be?

I sit up, succeeding this time. I fix the pillow so I can sit comfortably. I patiently watch the door waiting for him to come back.

The door opens. He's come back already? Ares enters with a grin. Okay. Maybe Lorenzo will come back later.

"Hey princess."

I look away, slightly disappointed. It's not that I don't like Ares. I like his personality and how open he is but I need to explain to Lorenzo what really happened.

He sits down beside my bed, "I heard you're not speaking to anyone. You can speak to me though. I won't tell anyone."

I close my eyes, feeling tears form.