Fourty Nine

Arden
•••

Let's run away we had said, and we did.

We knew the fighting was never going to end. No matter how hard we wanted it to be true, we weren't enough to change things. The war would have not ended because of a girl and boy.  Prince or not. Villain's daughter or not.

Will was right, we were the taste of freedom to each other. We thought that meant we had to let each other go, but it didn't. We didn't have to.

Will and I had packed our things that second. Taking as little as we needed. We were going to start new.

He had said he needed to make a few arrangements, leaving the room for only a little while I got ready.

"Are you ready?" He asks grabbing my hand.

I smile, "Yes."

We are about to leave the room when he stops, "Wait." He says quickly, heading back in. The goes to his walls of pictures. Grabbing a few, and slipping them in his bag. He showed me ours, smiling and slipping it in. He had grabbed some of everyone. Levi, Carter, Gwen, Lily, Christian. "Just because we're starting new, doesn't mean we need to forget."

I smile and nod. We hurry out, ignoring and sneaking past everyone we saw. No one thought to stop us. No one had any reason to.

We made it easily out the castle's gates. We even managed to snag a horse, telling them we were just going on a ride.

I was shocked when we arrive at the harbor. "That's the one." He points to a ship, being loaded.

I laugh, "You got us a boat?"

"I have my connections." He smirks.

"No, I have my connections." My face snaps towards the voice. Christian's voice.

"You guys thought you could leave without us." Gwen smirks crossing her arms. There stood next to her was Levi and Lily.

"You guys are coming?" I ask shocked what they were implying.

"Of course." Levi smiled.

"You're fine with this? Leaving everything behind. Starting completely over. Having nothing?" I ask with disbelief.

"Well when you say it like that, of course." Christian grinned.

I smiled, running up and hugging them. All of them. They were willing to leave everything behind. To start over with us.

I didn't question Lily being here. I knew Levi wouldn't have been able to leave her. I knew she wouldn't have asked him to stay. She loved her brother, she wouldn't stay when she knew he would would her.

We all board the ship, no one says anything to us, no one questions us. Will had promised we were sailing far. So far this kingdom will not be heard in the next. One that might have wars, and fights, but none that will involve us.

We were free. Those were my thoughts as I look up at the now night sky. The air was still hot, but the breeze was cool. I stare up at the stars. I had never seen so many.

I would have never been able to see them if it weren't for Skyler. She's saved me.

Will's hand finds my back. "We never had the chance to talk." I turn and look at him. I probably looked wild, nothing like I've had before. My hair was blowing, and there was a lazy smile on my face. He stills, taking in a deep breath.

"We can talk."

"A truth for a lie?" He asks me.

"You go first. Tell me your last dirty lie." I tease.

"I've never stopped loving you, Arden."

My smile drops, that's not what I was expecting. I was not expecting for that to be his third and final lie he had told me. I thought he had loved me now, to an extent. But I never thought that he had loved me the whole time. I never thought we shared the same feelings.

   We told each other countless of times we hated each other, but now I feel like that was us telling each other something completely different.

We hated the things we did, but we never truly hated each other. "My turn." I whisper, telling him my truth. "I've never stopped loving you."

His face breaks into a small dimpled smiled. He tilts my head up, catching my lips with his. "You know this is going completely backwards, usually you tell someone you love them before they're your fiancée.

I laugh, he's quick to catch it with a kiss. "You know, you never asked me to marry you."

He smirks, "I will." My heart flutters, "When we are ready." I smile, nodding.

I look up into the night sky again. "Do you think..."

"My mom used to tell me stories about the stars. My grandpa died when I was younger, I was devastated. He meant a lot to me. She saw me crying one day, and told me that every new star was a new soul taken from our world. Told me that every time I missed him, or every time I was lonely I could look up and see him."

"Do you thinks she's lonely wherever she is?" I whispers.

"She's not." It's not Will's voice that answers, but Gwen's. Levi and her walk to our side. "I know for a fact Carter has been with us the whole time. Watching us, being our guardian angel."

"He's out there with her." Levi whispers. Carter was his person. Just as Gwen was mine and Christian was Will's. But now we could all be each other's person now. "Welcoming her with open arms, we know she isn't going to hug."

I laugh, sniffling. "You know, they would be cute together."

"Maybe he would warm up to her." Will jokes.

"I wouldn't be surprised," Levi smiles. "He warms up to everyone." We all smile and agree.

I like to think that. That she and Carter are besides us right now. Her rolling her eyes, Carter blushing.

"To our friends that fallen." I whisper, "May we live for them."

"To Carter and Sky." They repeat, "May we live for them.
•••
The end
•••