CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

Olivia gets settled in and sits around the circular dining table

Olivia gets settled in and sits around the circular dining table. She looks around nervously as the three males all share tense looks.

"Would you like a cookie?" Emily questions as she sets the large plate filled with delicious looking baked treats on the table.

Olivia gulps and politely shakes her head. "Uh-no thank you... I haven't had much of an appetite lately." She admits.

In that moment she wishes the ground would swallow her whole because everyone's eyes were suddenly taking in her rapidly shrinking form. She knows she lost weight. A lot of it.

Sam interrupts everyone's stares and clears his throat, taking a seat in front of the imprints as his own takes a seat next to him. Jared takes a seat at the end of the table.

"The first thing that should be said is that we know what the Cullens are." Sam says with strong distaste in his voice.

Olivia's eyes widen but then she remembers all the times Jacob had told her about the tribe legends and his own distaste for them as well. She slowly nods her head. "That makes sense."

Sam raises an eyebrow. "And how's that?"

"I don't want him to get in trouble, you know?" Olivia meekly questions.

"It was Jacob, wasn't it?" He deadpans. She nods her head.

"Jacob only knows, or more so believes half of the legends." Sam confesses.

Olivia studies the three men's body language in curiosity. They were tip toeing around something big, they had plainly told her they knew about the Cullen's being vampires so that meant this was bigger.

"We're shifters." Sam says with no hesitation, seeing as Paul was too focused on examining every inch of her. He didn't blame him. She looked so sickly.

"Shifters?" She calmly questions after a minute of silence.

"We prefer the name shifters but our form is that of a wolf." Sam confirms.

"Wolves." She mumbles to herself deep in thought. It was like her brain was running a hundred miles a minute trying to pin point why the word 'wolf' was triggering something in her brain.

Her mind unwillingly takes her back to a memory with him.

"I saw wolves yesterday." Olivia suddenly breaks the silence between her and Jasper as they walk through the woods.

The two had decided to skip school the next day and take a walk through the woods near her home. Well more like Jasper came to pick her up and she refused to leave and instead told him if he wasn't coming with her than she would go by herself.

Which led them here.

"I didn't look straight at them." She pauses in thought as Jasper holds her arm assuring himself she wouldn't fall off of the log she was standing on. "But I saw them in my peripheral vision. Was I imagining that?"

"No." Jasper lets out a small smirk. "They were there." He confirms.

Olivia lets out a small breath of relief knowing she wasn't completely crazy. "You guys were calm around them. You knew they wouldn't attack." She states, back to being monotoned which makes Jasper frown slightly.

"We did." He confirms again with a small nod. Watching the gears turn in her head.

"So either you were confident enough that you could kill them if they came too close." She eyes the man suspiciously. "Or Edward could read their minds."

"More or less." He stifles a chuckle, knowing that she wasn't all the way there but would get there eventually.

"You were the wolves in the woods." She realizes.

"Yes." Sam nods.

"So you saw..." She trails off, all the males in the room frown. Jared wasn't there but it was something that played over and over fairly often in Paul's head when they shifted.

Sam nods.

"W-why are you telling me this?" She questions. "I'm guessing you can't go around telling everyone your wolves."

"You're right. We can't. You cannot tell anyone what we are. We cannot risk exposure which is why only a select few people are allowed to know." Sam says with strong authority in his voice.

"I wouldn't... but if I did? Then you would what? Kill me?" She hesitantly questions.

"Olivia!" Paul growls. "You know I would never let anything happen to you, yet you always assume the worse."

Olivia looks down and Sam eyes the shapeshifter, looking for any of the signs that he needed to be put far far away from the girl.

"Again, why are you telling me this Sam?" She questions bluntly, tired of walking around eggshells.

Sam looks to Paul for permission and after receiving confirmation from said man he sighs. "Paul imprinted on you."

Before she can question what that even means Paul finally speaks up. "You're my soulmate." He softly explains.

Olivia freezes.

"You're my mate, Olivia."

Her eyes tear up and she begins hysterically laughing.

All four of the eyes in the room look around worriedly. "Olivia?" Paul questions, concerned.

He reaches for her hand but she snatches it away.

"This is great." Olivia laughs, but at this point the group watched as she slowly started to fall apart, tears fall from her eyes but she can't stop laughing. "This is just fantastic."

"What's going on with her?" Jared questions, slightly horrified at the thought of this being what his future imprint could be like.

Olivia smacks her head into her hands and stops laughing, though her crying doesn't halt.

"Olivia?" Emily questions, hoping to get the answer they're all searching for.

Paul looked absolutely stumped at her reaction and at a loss of how to help her.

"I can't be your imprint, Paul." Olivia looks up to him, completely heartbroken.

"What?" He frowns. "Why would you say that?"

"I'm Jaspers mate." She croaks. "That's why I knew about vampires."

Within a second Sam pushes Emily towards the living room entry and Jared acts fast doing the same to Olivia. "Outside now, Paul!"

Paul can't see anything but red though. That blood sucker tried to steal his imprint. He knew her first and he loved her first.

He was kept away from her after he shifted because neither him or Sam even thought about her being his imprint and Sam didn't want to risk him exploiting what they were on accident. Along with him needing to learn to control his anger and shifting.

Both Sam and Jared throw the man off the porch right as Paul shifts and it doesn't take long for the both of them to do the same.

Sam understood but he was still angry he nearly shifted so close to his imprint.

They all knew how badly that would end.

All Olivia and Emily could hear in the house was Clashing, snarling, and growling slowly distancing from the house.

"Come on, Olivia." Emily sympathizes while picking up the fallen chairs out of the kitchen. "Have a seat, they won't be back for a while."