Chapter 34: The Real Taylor Rae Lawson

Dinner went by well. Leah and Jake didn't sit by us. They were sat all the way at the end of the table. Hayden was sat next to me. He kept looking at me. So did Chase. I didn't really get to meet a lot of Chase's family because they're all not here yet. Only his parents, siblings, and Aunt Rhonda. Mostly the Groom's family is here. I just find it funny his name is Jake too. I mean come on. I just hope he's the better Jake.

I had to get away. I know I shouldn't have left Chase but he had groomsmen duty's so here I am sitting on a dock with my feet in the water. Pissed off. I can not let Jake Thomas ruin the wedding festivities for me.

Something always has to stand in the way of me having a good time.

"Taylor?" I turn around and see Hayden.

"Hayden?" I was not expecting him.

"Can I take a seat?" Should I let him? I mean he hates me and probably wants to push me in this water. Just like I want to do the same to him.

"Why do you look like you're contemplating life or death?" He jokes but I'm not in a joke mood.

"Are you here to make my night worse. Even though I don't think it can get worse."

"No. Just here to get away from Laurel."

"That's mean."

"Well she's annoying."

"She's annoying or she's not Loren?" I asks looking over at Hayden.

"Hey! I'm not the one who has a crazy ex here."

"I'm not the one who possibly has a kid on the way."

He looks at me dead serious. "I don't. It was lie. The girl wanted money. Can you believe that? Money. I've tried telling Loren, but she doesn't believe me."

"Can you blame her?"

"No. I've done her dirty in the past. I don't ever think I'll gain her trust back."

"Are you in love with her?"

"What even is love?"

"Yeah. What even is love?" Love always screws people over in the end. Or just your best friend.

"You're nice to talk to." He tells me before getting up and walking away.

I think Hayden Caperall is starting to like me.

"Sorry. They wanted us to take pictures." Chase says approaching me. He hold out his hand. "Ready to go."

"Yep." I take it and he pulls me up.

"I'm not sure really how to say I'm sorry for, or that my crazy ex showed up to your sister's wedding festivities." I say as we start the drive back.

"Well for starters you could tell me why he'd want to show up here."

"I haven't talked to anyone from Kentucky. Since I left." I say looking forward suddenly the road is looking very interesting. I feel Chase's eyes on me, but if I look at him I might break. I've been going strong too long to break. "I've been running from the past and I think it's finally catching up with me. And that's extremely terrifying." I admit still staring ahead.

He doesn't say anything. He just continues driving. Until we approach a red light. "I've been patient when it comes to you, and your life back in Kentucky, but I think it's time you tell me about it."

"I think it is too." I say finally looking over at him. "When we get back to the house." I tell him and he nods.

The whole car ride back to the house. I'm trying my best to figure out how. How I'm going to word my life story without Chase's getting scared and running away. Because it's a scary story. Well not scary depressing. Sad. Hopeless. A very unhappy story.