Part 6.14

ADDY

Addy searches the hallways of an empty palace. Her footsteps echo in the dark. The candles remain unlit; it was a good thing she'd brought an illumination charm. She'd downed a vial of memory-enhancing potion too. Without it, she'd never be able to navigate them palace's maze of corridors.

It was a good thing they had Ruby on their side now. She'd secured a pouch of baby's breath for her on short notice. The store room supply had run dry.

Lily had agreed to let Addy do this alone. She was monitoring her energy signature from outside though, just in case anything went wrong. Addy wasn't afraid for herself though. Marsi and Eamonn were friends.

The library and sitting room were both empty. Addy tried the kitchen and spa, but they were empty too. The next place to search was Marsi's private quarters. The problem was, Addy had never been there.

She knew it was on the third floor, past the staircase with the succulus portrait. Ruby had taken it upon herself to snoop around while they were there.

The memory-enhancing potion helps her remember Ruby's instructions. She finds the staircase after a few wrong turns, and begins to climb. Halfway up, something sticky latches itself to the back of her shoe. Curious, Addy peels it off the sole, and gasps.

It's a bloodstained feather.

Addy's head begins to spin. A bloodstained feather. Did it belong to Eamonn?

There are small spots of blood on the step above. They look fresh.

"Eamonn," she calls, her voice weak.

There's no answer.

She takes the steps two at a time, her heart sinking lower with every new spot of blood.

"Eamonn? Marsi!"

There's a sound from the far left archway, like someone sniffling. Addy races for it, skidding to a stop when she sees Prince Marsi hunched on his four-poster bed, bleeding from his arm.

"Oh Marsi," she breathes.

He notices her and jerks with surprise. "Lady Addy? But...the palace is locked..."

Addy doesn't take time to explain. She's at his side in mere seconds. His arms is bleeding from several different points. Large welts blotch the skin in between.

"Your arm...Marsi!"

"It is fine," Marsi says quickly, yanking his arm away.

It's then that Addy sees the gold streaks running down his cheeks.

And something clicks.

When sunlight strikes a griffin's tear, it turns to liquid bronze or gold...

Addy turns her gaze back to the prince's arm. She sees them now, beneath the welts. The soft gold of feathers trying to break through.

"Marsi," Addy says slowly, "why didn't you tell me you were a griffin?"

*

Prince Marsi sniffs. "I am only half griffin," he admits. "My father was a griffin of royal lineage. My mother was Princess Siphini of Sactaphrane. Eamonn...Eamonn is my half-brother."

"How can you be half griffin?" Addy asks, confused.

"Griffins of a certain breed can take human form. My father was one such griffin." He hangs his head miserably.

Addy lifts his chin with her palm, so that his golden eyes are level with her amber ones. "This is what you've been hiding?"

Panic swims in the prince's eyes. "I beg you, Lady Adamantine. Please do not tell a soul of this."

"That's why you left Sactaphrane. And why your palace isn't staffed."

"When my parents' relationship was discovered, my mother was banished from the royal palace. I, however, looked like any other human, so I was raised by my aunt. No one spoke a word of my heritage. But some time ago - perhaps a year, a year and a half - I began showing...signs. I couldn't shed tears in the sunlight any longer. And this -" he waves his bleeding arm about like a child's doll. "These feathers. They come and go. I could not hide my background any longer."

Addy holds his gaze. "So you packed your bags and moved to Kadrea."

"Yes."

"And?"

Prince Marsi draws back, confused. "Lady Addy?" His expression is one of mild bewilderment.

Addy lets go of his chin and wraps her arms around herself. Her face crumples...and she laughs.

"Is that all?" she gasps, in between giggles. "Ruby thought you were some evil mastermind...or...or...I don't know, some kind of supervillain...and I was so worried that you were being held hostage or being blackmailed, or..."

Prince Marsi is looking truly bewildered now. "But...Lady Adamantine," he protests. "How can you say that? It is unheard of... a human-beast hybrid! I would have been the horror of Sactaphrane!"

Addy beams at him, all traces of alarm gone. "What's wrong with being half griffin?" She shrugs.

"What's - wrong..." splutters Prince Marsi. "Beasts and humans are ancient enemies. Since the old war, they have lived separately, having little or nothing to do with each other. Humans...hunt beasts. Beasts devour humans. They cannot inhabit the same body. I am a monster. An unnatural thing."

Addy takes his non-injured arm in hers. A long time ago, someone else had spoken those words.

"Believe me," she says kindly. "You're not a monster. You're not unnatural. You're something new and ...amazing."

Prince Marsi shakes his head, as if she were the amazing one. "You would accept me as I am? You are not...frightened of me?"

"Frightened? Of course not!" Addy brings out her signature sunshine smile. "I only wish you'd told me sooner. I have so many questions! I bet you're going to have some incredible powers."

A smile finally tugs at Prince Marsi's lips. "Lady Adamantine," he says. "You are one of a kind."

"So are you," Addy tells him. "And I think it's absolutely wonderful. I'm going to brew you something for that arm back at Witch Doctors Inc. We might even have something bottled up and ready to use. After that..." She winks. "I think I remember someone promising me another picnic?"