Chapter 5

It had been a rather eventful day for Katherine. Given the events of the morning, she had no intention to leave her room, but Eloise wouldn't allow it. They had resumed their daily activities and even joined everyone for a small luncheon.

It was astonishing to see that lord Bradford, who was usually absent at such affairs, had decided to join them.

Marchioness sat at the head of the table, adjacent to her son and as the second highest ranking lady in the house, lady Janssen sat opposite her, at the other end of the table. Katherine was thankful to have been seated on the far end of the table, next to Eloise and her mother, which was a most convenient distance to avoid participating in any conversation which might have involved him.

Her eyes focused on the food laid on her plate, as she silently listened in on the ongoing conversation about the Pankhurst ball, that was going to be held tonight.

Marchioness had extended the invitation she had received to all her guests and encouraged everyone to attend. They all seemed to be very enthusiastic about the party. Eloise in particular was quite giddy.

"I hope you'll attend the ball tonight," she said "Everybody seems to be thrilled about it."

"I haven't quite decided yet. You must know, I have very few proper evening dresses, and only one that is appropriate for a ball." Katherine replied

"You should censure yourself less, I am sure you'd look exquisite in any dress you put on" Eloise complimented "Besides, you must come. If for nothing else, but to vex my cousin. He appears to be looking your way very frequently, you see"

She did not dare look at him or in his direction but could feel his gaze upon her. Memories of this morning must be fresh in his mind, which could be the reason for his intent stare, she thought.

"Look at him, he looks so serious. Someone might mistake him for a prison guard from the Tower of London" Eloise's remark almost caused her to choke on the wine she was drinking. She had to try hard to not laugh.

"Is everything alright over there, Miss Hughes?" asked lord Bradford, turning everyone's attention to her.

Drat, the man. "Yes, sir. Everything is fine. I might have been a little too hasty in consuming my drink. That's all." She replied calmly

"Take care my girl, you should sip your wine slowly, like a lady." Said Mrs. Briggsby reprimanding her "Or you'll drink more than you ought to, which would be very unladylike."

"Look at your cousin Eleanor, she is a fine example of how a lady should carry herself at the table." She further added

"You flatter me, mama," said Eleanor with a faint blush. "I am sure this was just a small slip-up on Katherine's part. She had a simple country upbringing, you cannot blame her, for her lack of modern civility. If she had the fortune of mingling in fashionable society like us, she would have been just as proficient"

She nodded in acknowledgment and resumed eating her tart without replying to the subtle taunt directed at her. Once everyone had gone back to their previous conversations, she turned to Eloise and whispered in ears "You must stop making these humorous remarks about your cousin, in his presence. Or you'll get us both in trouble."

"I can make no such promise," said Eloise cheekily.

"Well then, do not complain that I didn't warn you when we are taken as prisoners in the Tower of  London" Katherine giggled. They continued the rest of the meal in silence, passing each other a smile here and there.

A few hours later, ladies began assembling in front of the grand staircase. Dressed in their fineries, they were waiting to board the carriages, to the ball.