Chapter 5: Speculation

Though Yuta may have looked worse than Haku, he was dismissed from the infirmary before Haku could be. He had hoped to be able to say a final departing message to his mission partner, but Haku had disappeared. All three missions a success, the first years were given the rest of the foreseeable day to rest and recuperate.

Like usual, after missions, under the shade of the ginkgo tree— Yuta was the last to meet up with the group who had been waiting.

"Oi Yuta!" Panda called out.

Yuta waved back as he joined them relaxing in the afternoon shade.

"Where's Namie? You guys were the only ones needing the infirmary," Maki said as her eyes glazed over Yuta, inspecting for visible injuries but finding none.

Yuta shook his head, "Kohaku went to a different room. I haven't been able to see them since."

"Kohaku? First-name basis already? You were actually able to get closer to the statue?" Panda questioned, it did seem like an impossible take given the pointless meet-and-greet earlier of introductions.

Even Inumaki turned his head, "Tuna Mayo?"

Memories of their mission not too long ago brought a slight smile to Yuta's face as he laughed shyly, "Eh... Not really. I just happened to accidentally blurt it out but I was never corrected so I assume it's fine."

Panda, Maki, and Inumaki watched Yuta's expressions soften when talking about Haku. It seemed that he knew something they didn't. The four were silent for a few moments but Panda kept a watchful eye on Yuta before leaning forward just a bit.

"Yuta... I gotta say something," Panda divulged in a serious matter.

The atmosphere immediately changed as everyone gave Panda their attention. Panda looked around, "This is open for anyone too, but I think Yuta can answer this best."

Panda succeeded in beating around the bush slightly but after looking around to check the group's surroundings he nodded. This only made Yuta feel uneasier. He had absolutely no idea what Panda was thinking half the time.

"Do you think... Kohaku? Kohaku— is a girl or a boy?" Panda asked, hesitantly unsure to use a first name of someone he barely knew but he considered it fine since Yuta suffered no repercussions.

Maki nodded, "I have also been wondering that same exact thing."

"Gojo Sensei didn't say anything. Yuta, you went on a solo mission with Kohaku and to the infirmary... did you happen to see... anything?" Panda asked suspiciously with a connotation as if he was hinting to something they were all thinking.

Yuta's eyes grew many times their normal size as he looked around quickly in an uncomfortable fashion, but he was met only with the stares of inquisitive wondering. He thought back but he too couldn't come to a conclusion.

"Kohaku never spoke for the entire mission or in the infirmary when I was there. They? Um, Kohaku also didn't physically fight any cursed spirits and from the Kariginu coat... you uh— It's not possible to reveal... anything..." Yuta's voice trailed off at the end, embarrassed to even be speaking about something like that, especially in front of Maki.

Panda nodded in understanding, "That's true. Unlike Maki who has huge boobs—

Before Panda could continue, he was dealt a swift slap in the face, "You better watch it you overgrown stuffed animal!" Maki warned, but this consequence was light in comparison to what could've happened.