chapter five

chapter                           five
━━ magic, glowing hair

     Within the class, Eloise knew she should be focussing on the task at hand but all she could keep her mind on was her glowing hair

Within the class, Eloise knew she should be focussing on the task at hand but all she could keep her mind on was her glowing hair. Eloise ran her fingers through her long locks, touching the curls and feeling the silkiness of it spread onto her knuckles — why did my hair glow? Eloise was sure Mother's gift wasn't glowing hair, unlike Mal's mom was a magical spell book and Evie's mom a magic mirror.

"If someone hands you a crying baby, do you, A, curse it? B, lock it in a tower? C, give it a bottle? Or D, carve out its heart?" Fairy Godmother asked, Eloise, furrowed her brows at the answers. "Okay, wait. . . That second answer was totally aimed at my Mother but the answer is C, give it a bottle," She replied with a small chuckle, earning a fist bump from Carlos as she had gotten the answer correct.

A girl squealed as she passed the five of them, Eloise removed her legs from Jay's lap and glanced towards the blue-clad woman with a smile. "Hello, dear one," Fairy Godmother cooed the pretty girl. Eloise tilted her head — they must be daughter and mother. She smiled at the fondness of the two.

"You need to sign off an early dismissal for the coronation," She said.

"Everyone here remembers my daughter, Jane?" Fairy Godmother stated, earning whispers of detest from her daughter. "Jane, this is everyone," She carried on as she pushed her daughter through into the tables. "Hi. That's okay, don't mind me, as you were," Jane replied before squealing as she walked through them again. "Let's continue," Fairy Godmother said before running up towards her chalkboard and screaming the other solutions.

     Walking out of the room, Eloise fluttered her eyes across a classroom that had a stench of acrylic paints.

She sighed before taking a step into the room, spotting a beautiful woman with short brown hair and bright green eyes. Eloise faltered her movements for a second before suddenly turning around, trying to escape the area before Rapunzel saw. "H—hey, no, wait. You're welcome here," Rapunzel shouted out to Eloise.

Eloise stopped on her feet, struggling her shoulders down and turning around on the heel of her foot. "Oh, my goodness. . ." Rapunzel whispered when she saw Eloise's face after turning around. Eloise swallowed harshly before smiling, watching as Rapunzel shook the stunned expression off of her face and handed Eloise a paintbrush.

"Are you staying?" Rapunzel asked.

"No, I can't," Eloise replied.

Her legs were quick to carry her away, Eloise felt her chest raise up and down as she noticed how familiar Rapunzel looked — almost too familiar.

She reached Mal outside of her locker, admiring the painting she had done to the once-blue locker. "Mal," Eloise started to say before clearing her throat, "What do you know about magic hair?" Eloise asked with emphasis of a whisper on the word 'magic.' Mal furrowed her brows before looking up at Eloise, "I know that Rapunzel had 'magic, glowing hair.' And that's the whole reason you're mother kidnapped her. I know you're sweet or whatever but I thought you'd at least listen to the stories your mom told you," Mal stated.

Eloise sighed before leaning against the locker, nimble fingers running through her straight locks. "Hey!" Ben exclaimed as he reached the lockers, eyes glancing over at Eloise and her sudden change in emotions.

"How was your first day, both of you?" Asked Ben, Mal crossing her arms over, what seemed to be, her spell-book. Eloise jumped up from the locker and smiled at Ben. "Super!" Mal replied sarcastically. "It's been. . . eventful," Eloise replied, watching as Jane scurried her way past the three of them with whimpers of detest as she saw Eloise and Mal.

     Mal walked away, supposedly following Jane. "Are people always like this? We aren't that bad," Eloise told Ben as she leaned back against Mal's locker, coming closer to Ben. The brunette looked down at her, feeling their closeness before shaking his head. "Jane knows you are harmless," Ben said before Eloise chuckled slightly — just her? Carlos had to be the most harmless of them all.

"We are all harmless, most of the time," Eloise smiled but Ben only furrowed his brows at the last part of her sentence.

"Did you go to the Art class? I haven't been able to catch up with Queen Rapunzel, or King Eugene," Ben asked.

Eloise cleared her throat before she coughed and nodded her head. "Y—yeah! I stayed for a couple of seconds before I got nervous and left," She replied as Ben frowned at her words, he shook his head before chuckling. "Why were you nervous?" Questioned Ben, Eloise biting her lip into her teeth at the question.

"My mom is Mother Gothel. . . That ring a bell?" Eloise asked sarcastically before Ben shrugged his shoulders. He didn't understand. "Rapunzel doesn't associate you with your Mother," Responded Ben, Eloise sighed at his words before nodding her head. "I do like art," Eloise smiled before Ben chuckled again.

"Great. I can join you next time if you'd like?" Ben asked.

"That might soothe my nerves. I'd like that," Eloise replied, the two saying their goodbyes.