001 | diamond of the first water

i

i. blame it all on yourself cause
she's always a woman to me

"JUST BREATHE," ELIZABETH SAID AS she stood next to her sister in her fancy dress, ready to be shown to the masses in front of the Queen.

On the other side of the square, she saw Daphne and the other Bridgertons. Her and her family had spent most of her childhood around the Bridgerton family and they'd always been close.

Her friend Daphne was entering the Marriage Mart this year, but Elizabeth and her best friend Eloise were waiting until next year to enter.

"I'm getting nervous," Amber, her older sister said as she looked around, seeing people heading up to meet the Queen.

They knew that if Amber was chosen as the diamond of the season then there would be more Marriage options for her.

Since their mother passed away two years ago, it had been difficult for the family and Elizabeth had taken a very maternal role to their two younger siblings, Heather and Jonathan.

The footman waved rhem in and the two stood at the door, ready to meet the Queen.

"Lady Amber Monroe and Lady Elizabeth-Ada Monroe," the footman announced and the two courtesies in front of the Queen.

It was daunting for them both to be there and the Queen nodded before waving them off to the side. They had done quite well.

Despite how well Amber had done, Daphne was chosen as the diamond of the season.

They congratulated her afterwards before heading home, getting ready for Lady Danburys ball later that night.

☆☆☆

HER SISTER SMOOTHED OUT HER dress as she walked into the ball with their father, "Don't worry dear, mingle, I'm sure there's someone you'll take a fancy too," he suggested.

Amber nodded, smiling at her father before she wandered into the crowd, a group of young men already eyeing her for her dance card.

"You should do the same my dear, you never know what you'll find," Peter said as he looked at his daughter.

"Papa, you know I told you I want to wait till next year, I don't want to take away from Amber's season," she explained.

"And if she doesn't get chosen?" He asked and Elizabeth sighed, "Just mingle, talk to your friends, Penelopes here isn't she, and the Bridgertons,"

"Yes papa," she said before walking into the crowd, bumping into the Bridgertons.

"Hello Daphne, Viscount," she said, practically sneering at the man in front of her.

"Ada, where is your chaperone?" He asked, raising an eyebrow at her in her dark green dress.

She rolled her eyes at the nickname, her middle name was Ada and as a child, Anthony always joked that too many young girls were called Elizabeth and that he preferred her middle name,"

"Well he's not really my chaperone, he's looking after my sister but my father is getting a drink, don't worry your pretty little face off Viscount," she said, her fake smile on her face.

Mid way through their conversation Daphne spotted Lady Danbury and the Duke in the crowd, turning to Elizabeth.

"You keep my brother company," Daphne said and she rolled her eyes.

"Hopefully not in the way he normally keeps his company," Elizabeth joked, a smirk on her face. Daphne laughed before walking off, leaving the two of them alone.

"Don't worry, you'll never have the pleasure of my company," He stated, rolling his shoulders back slightly.

"Gladly not, I'm not your mistress. But oh she has a lovely voice doesn't she," Elizabeth said with a smirk as she saw his eyebrows crease as he thought over what she said.

She leant in, "If I were you Lord Bridgerton, I'd watch who can see you through windows," she whispered before pulling away.

"What ever could you mean?" He asked, his voice higher than before and she knew he was lying, he knew exactly what she meant.

"You're lucky my maid is friends with her and decided to spare her the scandal," she said and he began to blush, something she'd never seen before.

He was about to reply before he began to rush into the crowd, Elizabeth followed him, intruiged as to what was going on.

He greeted another handsome man, the two embracing like old friends before he explained they'd met at Oxford.

"You seem to have a girl on your arm Bridgeton, didn't take it for you to be one to settle down," The man, Simon, said when he saw Elizabeth.

At the same time they both scoffed, him looking down at the shorter girl and him looking up at her, both beginning to protest.

"Definitely not, Lord Bridgeton isn't the one for permanent relations, it's nice to meet you Duke," she said holding her hand out for him to shake.

He nods, noticing how she was not like the other girls who fawned over him. He shook her hand, watching as Anthony looked at the girl with bewilderment.

"Anthony, you are yet to introducing the wonderful girl to me," he said.

"This is Elizabeth-Ada Monroe, second daughter of the Baron Peter Monroe," he stated, looking down at her with distaste.

Her father smiled at her from across the room before coughing gently into his sleeve, ignoring the pained feeling in his chest as he looked at her.

"Well, it's lovely to make your acquaintance Lady Monroe," Simon said with a smile, looking between Anthony and Elizabeth

"You too your grace, however I think I should be getting back to my father," she said, saying goodbye to Daphne before leaving.

Anthony smiled, turning round and watching as the girl walked away. Simon knew that look on his friends face, the longing look of a girl he could chase.

"You know, you ought to be nicer to my friend," Daphne said and he scoffed.

"I am nice," he said, looking back to see some Lord talking to her.

1174 words