20.

[Hey! I know I don't respond to every single comment, message, and question. I do apologize for it. I try to respond to everyone. I'm not stuck-up. Its just that I do receive a lot of messages. Reach out to me even if I don't respond the same day - I see you. If you don't feel comfortable talking to me, I understand. Use my Tellonym link and message me anonymously. Love you guys and thanks for the support❤️. Enjoy this chapter!]

▲ ▲ ▲

"What...in the world..." Jersey trailed off in confusion. Her brown eyes looked around in curiosity. She didn't understand the reason. Her eyes peered over at Malcolm, who stood beside her.

"Look through it." He urged her while lifting his chin.

"It's a lot of stuff...." Jersey trailed off while looking over the miscellaneous items for the fourth time.

Finally, the young woman decided to reach for the envelope. Jersey could tell it was old due to the browning on the white envelope. The letter was sealed with a gold wax stamp. She scrutinized it and realized it wasn't addressed to anyone.

Gently, she pushed her nail under the flap of the wax stamp and peeled it off. Jersey pulled the wrinkled paper out and unfolded it. Her eyes scanned the piece of paper carefully.

It was a handwritten note. The penmanship looked familiar, so Jersey knew who wrote it.

Vivienne.

"It's..It's a letter written by my grandmother."

"Read it." Malcolm urged her. "You want me to step out of the room so you can have some time to yourself?"

"No." Jersey pushed out immediately. "Stay."

Malcolm nodded his head lightly and said, "Alright."

"I'm going to read it out loud." She glanced over at her boyfriend. "I want you to be a part of this."

"Are you sure?"

Jersey nodded her head and looked at the letter, and said, "I just...need your support."

"You have it."

She shot him a smirk and proceeded to read the letter.

"To my granddaughter, Jersey Moriah Coleman,

Sweetheart, I see you. I understand. You don't like your surroundings. I do apologize for bringing you into this mess. This is the life I chose, and I have to live with it for the rest of my life. The things I put you and Terrie through. I'm sorry.

I want different for you. I want you to finish school and get a degree. You've always said you wanted to be a doctor and heal people. You also mentioned being a chef, but we'll see about that. You're only nine. I believe you can do all of those things when you get older, baby.

I just don't want these things to interfere with your life. I pray that you stay strong and liv...."

Jersey couldn't help but tear up. Her eyes grew blurry from the tears, and she started sniffling. Immediately, Malcolm came to her rescue. He took her into his warm embrace and watched her cry. After she calmed down, he questioned her.