| 12 | survivant

We arrive at a hangar minutes later

A range of private jets rears into view while some are stored indoors.

Ludovic's first to exit the car before he rounds it to open the passenger door.

He extends his hand to me after the door ascends.

I blink owlishly.

Ignoring the erratic palpitations within my chest, I clasp his hand.

His firm grip supports my weight as he lifts me until I'm able to stand.

The lack of proximity between us reanimates every dormant cell in my body.

The scent of his aftershave combined with his earthy cologne intoxicates me.

"We should arrive at San Francisco by 10," he notifies as he throws a glance at his wristwatch.

I nod before he leads me to the nearest private jet facing the steel building structure.

The jet engine generates an aeolian sound interwoven in a subtle whistling noise.

After ascending the stairs, Ludovic draws me to the farthest cabin.

The structure of the white-leathered recliner chairs forces us to sit on opposing sides.

As we're sitting face to face, I realize there's nowhere to hide under his hawkish gaze.

To my dismay, Ludovic has a higher chance of perceiving the hidden expressions I usually get away with when we're in a vehicle.

But not today.

I notice the small bruise residing on the right side of his nose due to his fight with Roman.

My fingers inch to trace his wound as if that would somehow alleviate the pain.

Clenching my fists, I avert my attention to the window before his ocean eyes can devour me.

"What's on your mind?" his voice is gruff.

Fidgeting, I shift my gaze back to him, "Nothing much,"

He doesn't seem convinced as he continues to assess my every move.

The silence prolongs.

"You should rest," he suggests after what seems like an eternity.

He lolls his head back onto the headrest as he adds, "It's gonna be a long night."

Countless thoughts about Detective Landford race through my mind as the jet is about to take off.

If he's working with the culprit, what are the chances he'd tell us what we need to know?

Will he run away like he did the last time or will he confess to all the lies he's been feeding me these past months?

Will we catch him on time or will it be too late?