Prologue

I believe there is a story to tell on how a beastly, short-tempered monster became caring after he was shown kindness, care, and learning to love. Let's get on with the story, shall we?

*************************************************************************************

Once upon a time in a faraway land, a young demon prince lived in a shining castle. Although he had everything his heart desired, the prince was spoiled, selfish, and unkind. But then, one winter's night, an old beggar woman came to the castle and offered him a single rose in return for shelter from the bitter cold. She held the red rose in her dark brown wrinkled hand in hopes that he will take her gift, it was all that she had after all.

Repulsed by her haggard appearance, the demon prince sneered at the gift and turned the old woman away. But she warned him not to be deceived by appearances for beauty was found within. The young demon prince became frustrated and confused by her cryptic words and stormed back inside his castle after he dismissed her again, but the old woman's ugliness melted away to reveal a beautiful enchantress.

Her long black hair flowed behind her as her light blue dress glowed like the stars in the sky and looked at the prince with such pity and sadness.

The demon prince got on his knees and begged for forgiveness and even apologized but it was too late, for she saw there was no love in his heart, and as punishment, she transformed him into a hideous beast and placed a powerful spell on the castle, and all who lived there.

He was consumed with so much anger and hate that he trashed his room, ripped and torn down any portrait that showed who he once was. The demon prince couldn't blame anyone, who is there to blame? 

Ashamed of his monstrous form, the beast concealed himself inside his castle with a magic mirror as his only window to the outside world. The rose she had offered was truly an enchanted rose, which will bloom until his twenty-first year. 

If he could learn to love another and earn her love in return by the time the last petal fell, then the spell will be broken. If not, he would be doomed to remain a beast for all time.

As the years passed, he fell into despair and lost all hope, for who could ever learn to love a beast?