Chapter 18 - New Arrival

Thyra dreaded walking to the library alone. 

Even after her friends left for their classes, she lingered around the corridor. She almost wanted to run after Seraphina and Hyacinth and sit with them in their class. She would do nothing, absolutely nothing. Professor Syrana wouldn't have even known that she was there. That's how quiet she would have been.

But she was prideful. She would never show that kind of weakness, never. Not even to her two best friends. She had to put up a brave front no matter how scared she was on the inside. It was the only way she knew, and so far it had worked for her.

''Ms. Torsten?'' A voice from behind her made her turn. ''Shouldn't you be at the library?''

She came face to face with a pair of brilliant amethyst eyes peering at her through rounded spectacles.

''Well?'' the principal's right eyebrow quirked up when she didn't reply.

''I'm sorry Ms. Greeves. I was just headed there now.''

''Very well. I shall walk you then.'' The principal said and stepped up beside her.

''Oh no, no, Ms. Greeves, you don't have to,'' she shook her head. Surely the principal of the school had better things to do.

''Oh, but I do,'' the older woman smiled wistfully, like she knew something others didn't. ''Come now.''

Thyra begrudgingly followed the principal, keeping a respectable amount of space between them. They both walked quietly to the library. Ms. Greeves' eyes flickered to the young girl every now and then. They had just rounded the corner to the library when they were met with a group of girls who looked like they were waiting for someone.

''Ah, Ms. Belmont,'' the principal stopped and looked down at Ilia and her group of friends, who immediately ran into the library upon seeing the principal. ''Something told me I would meet you here.'' She then smiled down at her knowingly. ''However, shouldn't you be in class?''

Thyra watched as the nymph girl quickly pulled her hands backwards, as if she were hiding something, and looked up the principal innocently. Her light green eyes blinking as she smiled.

Nymphs were considered to be incredibly beautiful creatures. Ilia knew she was pretty. Usually just a simple smile and some eyelash fluttering got her out of many tricky situations. No wonder Daphne kept her around.

But Ms. Greeves was not just anybody. She had been around longer than anyone else at the academy and the fake innocence of an inexperienced nymph could not fool her.

''You can stop smiling and answer my question, Ms. Belmont. Aren't you supposed to be in class?''

If Ms. Greeves was smiling before, she definitely wasn't now. Thyra watched as the girl struggled to answer the principal. A line of thin sweat had begun to form on Ilia's upper lip as she trembled under the principal's scrutinizing gaze.

Thyra couldn't help but smirk at her discomfort. Gods knew she wouldn't want to be in Ilia's position right now.

From the corner of her eyes, Ilia Belmont saw Thyra smirking at her. She clenched her fists and glared at the misfit. She gritted her teeth and her eyes blazed.

''Is something the matter, Ms. Belmont. You are yet to answer me?'' Ms. Greeves asked her again, for the third time now. Thyra wondered how the woman was able to display such a level of patience. If it were her, she would have landed three to four punches already.

''N-n-nothing at all Ms. Greeves,'' Ilia finally replied. ''I shall go immediately.'' Her gaze faltered and she scurried away, but not before glaring at Thyra one last time. ''I will get you.'' She mouthed to her before vanishing around the corner.