17: Haidar; The dance 2

Haidar Jega

The wedding was a blast. I and my friends all took over the dance floor. We danced our hearts out and for the first time in a while, I had fun. I was speaking to you Jabir who was seated beside me. I couldn't come to the wedding without him. No matter how much a pain in the ass he can be, I still loved him. "Your bodyguard looks like an angel." He said. My gaze shifted to Dk, she indeed looked really amazing. She had just returned from the restroom which I had followed her to in other to check if she didn't faint again. For some reason, I got a bit worried about the arrogant woman. When she had asked why I had come to check on her, I gave the lamest excuse you could ever think of.

"She does? To me, she looks plane" I lied. He elbowed me harshly and I whimpered which was followed by a light chuckle.

"I swear I'm looking forward to the slow dance. I pray I dance with Dk" He said. "What's her real name? Dark doesn't sound like a name." He said.

"Sincerely I don't care to know" I lied again. His question got me thinking about what indeed was her real name, she didn't look like a Fatima nor did she look like an Aisha. She was very stubborn and reminded me of A Maryam. Those people named Maryam were very stubborn so I wouldn't be shocked if that was her name.

"She looks like a Ramlah," He said. I laughed softly.

"Nope, she looks like a Maryam. She's got their attitude, very stubborn and insolent" I said.

"She's not rude, you are the rude one. I think she's only doing her job. Look how she's laughing at something on her phone. She looks peaceful and beautiful." He said. I took a glance at her and indeed she did look peaceful while she laughed softly.

"Our couples dance is a go! Please call the bridesmaids and groomsmen should come forward" The voice of the MC blared through the speakers. I immediately frowned my face. Because there was no way I was going to dance with all these hungry-looking girls. I didn't like the stares they had been sending me all this while. It was irritating. I wish they would look at me the way Dk does, she stares at me with burning eyes. It made me feel angry and I somehow enjoyed the anger that came with that gaze. It was as if it was tickling my heart.

"Haidar get up!" I heard Jabir say.

"Nah, I'll stake this one out. I don't feel like dancing again" I said.

"Common Bruh, don't be a tedious person." He said and I rolled my eyes. This rolling of an eye thing was something my sister Fatimah had taught me. I smiled at the thought of that funny girl, I missed her so much and couldn't wait to pay her and my mum a visit.

"No. Go and dance with your Dk. She's still seated." I said. My cousin immediately ran forward in the realization that he might not get a dance with her if he remains here. But unfortunately for him, a dark-skinned girl immediately stood before him. I could see the disappointment in his face and that brought me great laughter. I had to control myself from laughing out loud.

From my left side of the eye, I could see Dk stand and she walked calmly over to the line where the bridesmaid stood. I watched how she angrily stood there, I was sure Hajarah was the one that had forced her because she was staring at Hajarah who looked at her pleadingly.

I saw a guy who was seated on the other table close to mine get up, he seemed like he was hurrying to go get a dance with DK. When I saw him, anger immediately rushed over me. I got up instantly and walked over to Dk using the shorter path that would lead to where she stood. Without further ado, I stretched my hands over to her. At first, she looked at my arm in bewilderment before looking up and placing hers on mine. She didn't look happy placing her hands. I took a bow before her and curtseyed. I smiled when she placed her hands on my shoulder and I gently placed my arm on her waist. I heard her hiss. I chuckled inwardly. She looked really angry and funny at the same time. She didn't look at me. Her head was bowed down as we danced slowly to Dandelions.

"You look beautiful." I complimented her and she looked up for the first time since we had begun dancing.

"Huh?" She said. I knew she had heard me because her eyes went saucer wide open when I had said that.

"I said you look ugly," I chuckled. "You love putting on charades, don't you? I know you heard me." I said.

"What makes you think I did?" She asked.

"Your eyes!" I said. I stared deep into her eyes and She did the same. "They are beautiful" I added. In a split second, she removed her hands from my shoulder and turned around to walk away but I held her hand.

"Where are you running to? We are not done dancing" I said.

"I'm done." She said with finality oozing from her voice before turning around and walking away. I simply stared at her as she walked very fast towards the restroom.

"May I have this dance, your Highness?" A cute short girl said. Stretching her hand for me to hold. I looked at her arm and then her face again.

"I'm sorry, Not today." I didn't even wait for her to try and pursued me into dancing with her. I simply walked calmly back to my seat and sat down. My mind was on Dk and how she made me feel while we danced, I didn't know where all this was coming from. But she Made me feel a bit happy and angry all at once. But then, I could never replace My Nailah with a woman like DK. I loved Nailah very much and I was going to Marry her pretty soon.