003 | shock and delight

iii

iii. too young to know it gets better,
i'll stay summer sun for you forever

[TW, MENTIONS OF
SEXUAL ASSAULT]

ELIZABETH STOOD AT THE BALL IN her usual place, against rhe wall as a sort of wallflower whilst her sister fretted about whether she had enough men interested in her.

With a curt laugh, her father smiled at his eldest daughter, trying to calm her down.

"I'm sure there are plenty of men who would love to dance with you Amber dearest," he said, placing a hand on her shoulder.

That's when a man walked over, a Lord from a nearby village who had come over for the dance. He asked for Amber's hand and with her face in a blush, she accepted and let him lead her away.

Her father laughed and turned to look at Elizabeth, "It won't hurt for you to talk to people you know," he said.

She rolled her eyes, "You say that every time papa, I'm okay," she said, looking around the room.

"Okay my love, I'm going to go talk to my old friend over there," he said before excusing himself, leaving her behind.

As soon as her father left, she heard her jame being called and turned to see someone she knew.

"Oh, Marquees Stuart, it's lovely to see you," Elizabeth said, cuttesyong slightly.

Stuart was around the same age as Anthony and was tall with deep brown skin and a dashing smile that compelled women to do as he pleased.

"Lovely to see you too miss Monroe, may I have this dance?" He asked, holding his hand out and flashing that signature smile.

She smiled back at him, taking his hand and allowing him to lead her onto the dance floor.

From the sidelines, Anthony watched on, squinting at them. He couldn't quite understand the burning feeling in his chest as she danced along with the Marquees but he didnt like it.

He gripped his glance, taking another swig of alcohol before looking around the room for his sister as he tried to forget about the horrible feelings he felt.

Once Elizabeth had finished dancing, she walked to the sidelines where she saw Simon yelling at Berbrooke.

They were in the men's parlour and she knew she had no right to go in but she knew what had happened. Daphne had told her all about Berbrooke trying to come onto her and when she refused, she had hit him.

Elizabeth wasn't going to let him get away with it so she held onto her dress as she made long strides across the room, knowing she will get told off but she didnt care right now.