Chapter 21: He is the Centre

"Friends to lovers?" Alexis paused, confusion slowly began to creep into his facial expressions, "Is that ever possible?"

"I mean, it would make sense if you didn't know the person beforehand and began to develop feelings for them. The feeling of getting to know someone new can easily lead to the feelings of love. But how can your feelings of friendship change into love? Wouldn't you be too comfortable with them to even realise the possibility of it?"

"That certainly can be the case. Over time, you get used to accompanying them everywhere, get used to having them constantly by your side."

"Then how can friends turn into lovers? It doesn't make sense. Wouldn't you be too scared to change the current status of your relationship? Why should you risk losing them forever if staying as friends was a better option?" Alexis was oddly passionate about the topic, as if he wanted to prove something. Although Elijah didn't know what it was.

"Sometimes, you just need a little time away from them, a little nudge just for everything to change."

"..."

"Then," Alexis hesitated, wary of his own response, "Are you and Mother like that? Friends who turned into lovers?"

He gave it some thought, unsure of how to phrase his past, "I guess you could say that but it wasn't exactly as smooth sailing as you think."

"Around your age, the situation between your mother and I was quite rocky." He had a nostalgic expression, as if he was being transported back in time to that very moment. "Of course, it wasn't the start of my feelings for her. After all, I was pinning after her for a long time but... it wouldn't be wrong to say that our relationship began to change after that."

"..."

"Don't want to hear it?"

"Not really..."

"Then why ask me about all this?"

"I... I want to see someone again..."

Oh? I was not expecting this.

His son wanted to meet someone again, who a) is a friend who he has romantic feelings for and b) is someone he hasn't seen in a long time.

"And who exactly do you want to see again?"

"They... they don't exist anymore." His voice trembled slightly, each word becoming softer and softer until it was almost inaudible. "I want to see them once more but... how can I when they don't even exist here?"

"Father, is there a way to... to soul transfer someone from another world and to resurrect them?"

"..."

"Is it too much to ask?..."

Elijah's chest was unbearably heavy, why would his son suddenly ask him what about what only gods could do?

"Unfortunately, it is. The soul transfer and the resurrection you speak of, only exist in myths, where the Gods are able to manipulate time and space, which is something humans cannot do." Even though it would've been better to comfort Alexis first, Elijah felt like it was better to tell the truth.

"Then how did I even get here..."

"Alex, please do not forget that, even though you cannot meet the one you truly wish to see, there are others willing to stay by your side. Because I'm sure that they will treat you well in their place."

"Treat me well..."

Elijah gave him some space to sort out his thoughts. At the very least, as a father, Elijah had hoped to provide some sort of comfort to his confusion, even if he didn't know the full story. "Let's end today's lesson here. We can always practise our magic another time."

Alexis nodded absentmindedly, excusing himself before exiting the room. Now that the tension was gone, Elijah collapsed onto his chair, heaving out a sigh, "Who else could he be thinking about when both Darcel and Lucius are already by his side?"

He gritted his teeth in worriness, "How troublesome. I'll have to call them in." Calling a servant to fetch the two boys, Elijah glanced once more at his ring, twirling it around as he wore it on his finger.

---

"Good morning, Your Grace." Lucius opened the door for the both of them. "Is there something urgent that is required for you to call the both of us?" He gently closed the door, taking a seat next to Darcel and opposite of Elijah. Darcel did not have an inkling either.

"No, it is nothing that important. I just have a few inquiries that I need you to answer. I know all of us are quite busy so I won't waste anymore time." Elijah crossed his legs, putting on a serious expression before asking, "Are you aware that he... that Alexis has someone that he wants to meet again?"

"..."

Their expressions didn't show any signs of surprise, instead, it was like they were expecting it. "You two, is there something you're hiding from me? No, that's not important. What are you hiding from Alex?" Elijah could feel that was more to what they let on. Perhaps during the year where they decided to hide Alexis's second element was when everything started.

Darcel glanced at Lucius, who had a melancholic look in his eyes. He could see him working out the cogs in his brain, how to answer without raising suspicions while still acting natural. "We... This is our first time hearing this. Did Lex tell you something about this?"

"Not explicitly but I would at least think that he would tell you something about it." Elijah pushed a little further before saying, "Are you sure you've never heard say something about this? Even if it is not my place, I am still his fat-"

"No, we don't know anything." Darcel quickly shut down any response, roughly tugging on Lucius's sleeve. "Let's go." He whispered before pulling him out of the door.

"Darcel, Lucius, you can't keep running away from this. If you choose to never tell him anything, do you really think he would be able to forgive you? Friends aren't supposed to hide important things and if you want to become lovers, you need to learn how to talk to each other."

SLAM!

Elijah was met with a door slam, his office rattling slightly before returning back to its quiet atmosphere except, the tension had never left. He collapsed into his seat, "I know I'm supposed to guide them as a parent but they're not even listening to me. Well, at the very least, only Alex is."

He tried to re-examine their reaction before finally realising something, "Those two... they know more than they let on and they're especially adamant on hiding it from Alex, but what is it? Was when I asked about their engagement? No, it has to be before that..." Elijah dug into his memories before stopping at one particular event, "Could it be when they had their elemental examination? But there was nothing that would have triggered it..."

His thoughts were pacing around, trying to puzzle it together, "But it's the only possible solution. Something must've happened between the two of them. No, that's not right, I can't just exclude Alex out of this because he's my son. If anything, he is the centre that the other two revolve around..."

-----

A/N

So uh... I apologies for not updating or keeping the once/fortnight schedule. I've been very busy since I am in my exam period. At the rate I'm going, it will most likely be one chapter per two and a half fortnights. Plus I have to get my beta readers to approve before finalising it.

I hope you understand but just because I'm busy, doesn't mean I forgot about it. Time hasn't been very friendly to me lately... BUT!!

THANK YOU FOR STICKING AROUND REGARDLESS EVEN IF UPDATES ARE BECOMING IRREGULAR!!

I appreciate everyone who stays and continues to read (as well as new readers dropping by too!). I love seeing the comments and your reactions to the chapter. So thank you!

I don't know when the next update will be but it will come no matter what. So thank you once more for staying with me and reading my story.

ヽ(*'з`*)ノ