Chapter Twenty Four

Dearest readers, 

The final ball of any season is distinguished by one of two things, anticipation... or dread.For, while those who have been successful in the year's marriage market look forward to flaunting their perfect, joyous unions... others shudder at the thought of spending one last night before the discerning eyes of the ton.

As they know, indeed, just what the evening signifies, that their time is officially up. 

But one thing is for sure dear readers, as we loom to our final act of the season...  scandal indeed.

LADY WHISTLEDOWN'S SOCIETY PAPERS,

12 August 1813

"The Final ball and yet no engagement" Lady Danbury tutted. "You could have married a prince, foolish girl" 

Elizabeth laughed as the pair line up at the top of the grand stairs awaiting their turn to greet the hosts; The Duke and Dutchess. "Come now Aunt. I feel as if i have had a most excellent season. Plus you succeeded in Simon's marriage? Who would have thought we would see him married!" 

Her aunt threw her a stern look. "Nevertheless, I will see you married next season." 

"What a fruitless mission" Elizabeth teased. "Why you little-" Her aunt began but was cut off. 

"Lady Danbury! Elizabeth!" Daphne greeted the pair as they reached the end of the staircase. 

"Your grace's" Elizabeth teased taking a bow. "You've truly outdone yourself Daph, you should be proud." 

Daphne blushed and pulled her friend in for a hug. "Shall we grab a refreshment?" She pulled Lizzie along to the side of the courtyard. 

"Is your whole family here tonight?" Elizabeth instantly thinking of Anthony. If she was honest with herself; she'd admit that she wished to see him just once more. She had no plans to return for another season, she had no plans to marry. If she could see the viscount's face once more that would be enough, she didn't need to speak to him. Then Elizabeth could return to the country and to Roth House, where she plans to take up a position as a governess. Claim her independence and withdraw from the ton. 

"I believe I saw Eloise heading to the library for some rest bite. She is not very happy about her presence here tonight" Daphne giggled. "Would you be able to check on her? I would myself but I have to host." 

Elizabeth smiled at her friend. "I'll be happy to" she squeezed her hand once more before disappearing into the crowded courtyard. 

"Anthony!" Lady Bridgerton exclaimed as she spotted her eldest son. "Have you seen Elouise? She cannot be hiding at her first ever ball" she fanned herself in frustration. 

"I have not, Mother" He straightened up. "Now if you excuse me-" 

Violet grabbed his elbow. "Not so fast, I have a lovely young lady Miss Thomas for you to meet. She is highly accomplished and -" 

"How about I go find Elouise for you?" He pressed making his mother smile. "Very well, I'll be waiting." 

____________________________________________

Elizabeth pushed the door open and entered the room.  One wall was entirely taken up by rows and rows of books. Her hand instantly brushed the spines of the books carefully reading the glossed writing of each title. She made a mental note of any titles that catched her eye.  At the other end of the room was a roaring fire with a great writing desk. Elizabeth was about to leave the room after unsuccessfully finding her friend when the door of the library closed.

"Elouise?" Anthony called out. Elizabeth hurried behind one of the rows of bookcases. "I can hear you!" He huffed walking into the room fully. 

she tried to steady her breathing as she slowly retreated further into the library stacks until she was nearly hiding in the darkest section of the stacks. Her hand rested of the dusty shelves to steady herself. "This is not a game" He whispered loudly. "Incessant girl" 

Elizabeth stood in silence for what felt like eternity before she could hear the steps stop. Anthony could smell the lingering perfume making him smile and close his eyes, between the stacks she watched as he stood in thought. "Mmm Elizabeth" He mumbled subconsciously to himself.  Elizabeth gasped, Had he said her name? Did he know she was in the room hiding? 

Her gloved hand covered her mouth in an effort to conceal herself but it was no use, she had sneezed from the dust of the shelfs. "Bludding dust" She whispered. 

"Who's there?!" Anthony followed the sound until he stood in front of a shocked Elizabeth.  

"Miss Priestley?!" He continued walking closer. "What on earth are you doing?" 

Elizabeth fumbled. "I - uh" She grabbed the first book she could find and waved it in his face. "Daphne asked that i grab her this book" 

Anthony smirked at her current flustered state and snatched the book from her grip. "In the middle of the ball, she needed this?" 

She nodded crossing her arms. "Yes." 

"The Philosophy in the Bedroom?" He teased reading the title. Elizabeth shocked tried to grab the book from his hands. "Now this would be a scandalous topic for a ball" He reached his arm above her head. 

"I should like to read this myself" as step forward until Lizzie's back was against the wall. 

"By all means" She shuffled away from him and towards the door. "knock yourself out. If you excuse me" 

"Elizabeth" He breathed stopping her at the writing desk.  He moved even closer, his crisp white lapels now inches from her dress. "Perhaps you would like to read with me?" he murmured letting his forefinger trail along her cheek. 

Elizabeth swallowed convulsively knowing she was unable to control her composure anymore. "Mmm, what do you say?" his finger traced along her jawline. 

Her lips parted, she was unable to utter a single word. His eyes looked directly into hers making her legs struggle to stay straight. Elizabeth knew she must be insane. She must of been, she was meant to be avoiding The Viscount. She was meant to want to get away and find her friend. She was meant to return to the ball, and instead... 

She kissed him.