20 questions

I follow the group as they get out of the van. We all stare up at the lighthouse for a moment before John b turns around with his attention on JJ.

"Right. You're gonna post up and look out for bogeys, okay?"

"Wait... why me?"

"Because you're not coming." Pope answered with a shrug.

"Why?" JJ asked again, starting to get defensive.

Pope sighs. "Look, there are independent and dependent variables. You're independent. We don't know what you'll do-"

"Shut up!" JJ interrupted. Pope and JJ started arguing. I sighed before looking over at Kie who looked done with the boys and there arguing.

"Listen to me for a second." John b spoke up making the other two boys go quiet.
"Pope, you stand lookout with JJ, while me Kie, and Maddie go up in the lighthouse, okay? If we get split up, we meet back at JJ's house."

I raise my hand up as if we were in school to say something. I don't know why- it just felt like the right thing to do. John b looked over to me with a confused glance before "calling on me" like a teacher would.

I bring my hand down as i start talking. "Can i maybe stay down here? I don't really mix with heights or you know- anything that involves me possibly falling to my death." I give the group a smile with innocence written all over it.

I hear a scoff come from behind me. "Whatever. As long as i don't have to be near her any longer I'm fine." Kie said walking off in the direction of the lighthouse with her hands in her pockets. John b following close behind.

Pope turned and started walking back towards the van. "I'm gonna work on my merit scholarship essay, and I'm trying to keep felonies down to a minimum."

"Alright, would you just shut up already?" JJ asked now kicking around a hacky sack.

I made my way over to a tree stump and slid down to the the ground with my back against it. I don't care about my skirt at this point anymore. I leaned my head back and started to think. Just think. About anything and everything. Then I thought about him. And her. And them. I missed Pierto more than i could possibly put to words, but I miss her more. Does that make me a bad person? For missing my dead boyfriends sister more even though she's still around? She's my best friend. She was before Pietro and I started dating and was while we were dating. But we broke up. Then a month later he died. I never got to say goodbye. After that Wanda became distant from everyone- more specifically me. I dont know why. But one day we stopped being best friends. I still think of her as mine though. Even if she doesn't think of me as a best friend anymore. I've tried talking to her for the past 8 months but she just ignores me every time. I havent tried sense we moved but maybe i should now.

I reach into the hem of my skirt for my phone. I dont have pockets so i didn't know where else to put it. I searched through my contacts until i found hers.

WANDS🪄

It rang twice and went straight to voicemail.

I didn't even bother to leave a message. I put my phone on the ground next to my feet letting out a disappointed sigh and start playing with the ends of my braids.

I felt someone slide down in the spot next to me.
"So..." I turn to see JJ fiddling with his hacky sack.

"Are you gonna sit there and be awkward or are you gonna say something?" I ask letting out a chuckle.

"O-oh, yea uh- who were you calling?" He asks. He was stuttering like if he was scared or nervous to ask.

I look down to my phone that now had some dirt spread over it that was blown by the wind. "Just someone from back home."

JJ nods his head sensing that I obviously don't wanna talk about it anymore.

It was silent for a while. I decided to break the silence because I hate the quiet.

"Do you wanna play 20 questions?" He looks at me and grins.

"Yea, alright. I'll start." He pauses and thinks for a quick second. "How come Rafe called you "his girl" at the kegger the other night?"

I let out a huff of air not knowing how to answer a question I barely know the answer to. "Honestly- I don't know." I looked over to the blonde boy sat beside me and he looked relieved to hear that.

"Ok my turn. You guys got into a huge fight, found a navy blue duffel bag that was in a sunken boat, have been shot at, witnessed two grown men beat up a helpless women who just lost her husband, and home invaded within 24 hours. Why?!" I turn my body to face him completely to show my pure curiosity.

He looked down at his hands with wide eyes. Probably not knowing how to answer the asked question as well. "I don't know. But we think it might have something to do with John b's dad."

I nodded my head taking in the information.

"Okay, I have another one. And you totally don't have to answer if you don't want to." He paused and looked over at me to see if it was okay to continue with his question. I sent him a smile that says it was. "So uh y'know how your dad is Ironman?" I nod my head smiling at his question. I already know where this question was going but the way he was nervous to ask it made me happy.

"Yea I think I know that my dad is Tony Stark."

"Y-yea obviously, but do you like know the Avengers?" I put my head down not even surprised by the question anymore. I think JJ noticed my sudden change in mood and felt bad for asking. "Again you don't have to answer if it makes you uncomfortable."

I look up quickly noticing I probably made him feel bad by my reaction. "No, no, no, no, it's okay. Im used to this question being asked." I reassure him.

"Uhm- yea I do know the Avengers." I really hope he doesn't ask anything else "Avenger" related. I don't wanna end up thinking about Pierto or Wanda.

Damnit im thinking about them.

"That's awesome." I look up was met with JJ's piercing blue eyes. They really are beautiful.

Most people would say they remind them of the ocean, but the ocean brings back bad memories and a dark place for me.

I think his eyes are like the early morning sky.

We sat there just staring at each other. I didn't miss the quick second JJ's eyes flickered down to my lips. I could feel heat rise up to my cheeks.

It's been a while since that's happened. It reminds me of him. The first person to make me emotionally happy since mama passed. It made me miss him. I quickly look away from his eyes when I heard police sirens.

Perfect timing.

Author note:

No wayyyy I'm finally updating😱
Ik shocking right. I'm on April break rn I have been since Thursday but I've been to lazy to update... but anywaysssss I posted a new chapter today so that's all that matters 😍👍next chapter tomorrow... maybe, maybe not but don't get your hopes up ya losers (said with love)
Posted at 9:08 p.m

XoXo,
Lani❤️