☔︎︎Chapter 35: On Your Darkest Night 2☔︎︎

Nobody heard him, the dead man,   But still he lay moaning:I was much further out than you thought   And not waving but drowning

But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.

-Stevie Smith (Not Waving But Drowning)

I race inside to see the damage thinking I've either shot the government assassin or rune but when I walk into the room I am welcomed with a much more grim horror.
Niklaus stands with his back to Rune who watches him with wide unblinking eyes, Rune shakes his head silently.

"Rune?" Martina asks her eyes filling up with tears, "you're...hurt?"

"Nadya your arrow it..." Sade begins just as Rune continues to silently shake his head in pure shock.

"I-I am not hurt." Rune stutters, "I'm not I-"

Niklaus turns around to face me, his skin pale, eyes stagnant and body rigid. And at first, I'm confused but then I watch his hands trembling as he glances down at his white shirt, which is soaked with rouge, I cup a hand over my mouth in shock. No no no this cannot be true.

"I can't feel anything..." Niklaus speaks, "why can't I feel anything?"

"Why would you take the arrow for me you idiot?" Rune panics, "why would you move me out of the way!"

Niklaus pulls the sterling silver arrow out of the side of his abdomen and his eyes turn bloodshot, I watch the sudden wave of excruciating pain overcome him like debt to the devil. He falls to the floor and clutches his side, and I watch the veins in his neck begin to define and he cries out from the pain.

"Nadya, what was on the arrow?" Sade asks urgently,

"It's Curare," I tell her darting my eyes back to Niklaus,
"What have I done..."

"Nadya we need the cure!" Rune says urgently pulling Niklaus's body away from me and placing him on the couch, "this was not your fault."

"I'll go look for it," I speak calmly but inside I'm panicking. I make my way over to the couch and place my hand on Niklaus's forehead, I look into his eyes and I watch him shaking from the pain.