33. A Proper Proposal

I tremble as I clasp my necklace. The green emerald shines a brilliant color, my favorite. Matilda helped me get dressed, helped me do my hair, but my jewels were left for me. Following Mother's death, I couldn't imagine anyone else but her clasping the necklace across my neck. Matilda has in the past, I have in the past, but losing her has made this personal mine.

Without a mother to worry about, without a father, all that is left to cattle is Ryder. Pleased with my appearance, one that hasn't looked this out together for weeks, I continue out of my room.

"Veronica, you are ready for tonight I see," Ryder comments as he meets me at the bottom of the stairs.

"Yes," I reply my voice somber.

"Tonight will be good for you, some fresh air. Time with your friends,"

"I know. I would like to go," I insist and push past him towards the door. I listen as he waits a second before following my footsteps, and I can't help but feel as though there is a sense of pity in him. He has Anna, he has his two amazing daughters, he will be with them forever, and we can only hope the same for Anthony and me.

I can only be in awe, blown away from my older brother. He was a fine man before, but truly becoming the title of our family, with our fathers leave into desolation has given him a large leap in duties. He has handled this with more grace than most would even dream about. But still, he is and has been there for me, for his family.

The carriage ride is silent. Ryder is and always has been great at reading me, and like always he could tell that above all else I need space, silence before being rushed back into society.

"Baron Kingston, Miss Kingston," The man greeting the carriages speaks before giving me his hand to help me down. With a weak smile, I take it and wait for Ryder to lead me in.

  Stepping through the grand double doors causes me to feel like an animal in a cage at the zoo. All eyes are on me, reminding me of the first ball of the season. All eyes, watching me like a wounded bird, a piece of prey.

  At first glance I do not see Anthony, instead I see Eloise... my old friend. She doesn't look at me like I'm hurt, she looks at me like I'm her friend, as if she has missed me for my distance. Trying my hardest to ignore everyone's stares I walk towards her, towards my friend who was there for me first, before Anthony before Stephan.

  "Eloise..." I begin to ramble once more trying to mend our friendship, only to be cut off by a very sudden hug, one that I meet no matter how improper it may be.

  "I forgive you, Veronica. And I am so sorry, for the power I thought I held the right to when it came to you and your love life... and for your parents. My deepest condolences to you on behalf of them both," Eloise explains, and for the first time tonight, for the first genuine time in a while I grin.

"Oh, Eloise thank you. And I must apologize as well, I could have been a better friend,"

"There is no need for apologies-"

"Miss Kingston," A far familiar voice chimes in, interrupting his little sister.

"My lord," I reply turning away from my friend, my smile still on my face.

"May I have this dance?" He asks, his voice just as handsome as his appearance. And I accept, no longer tied down Stephan Chambers, to the man who is now dead.

"I would love nothing more," I answer taking his much larger hand in mine. I cherish the feeling even through my gloves I can't help but receive a flutter in my heart from his touch.

Then once again everyone's eyes are on me, but this time me and Anthony. It is almost as though being with him is a shield from any shame or guilt I for some reason felt before. The stares no longer got to me, instead of wanting to hide from them, I want everyone to see me, to see that I am his and he is mine.