51 • what did the tree ever do to you? • 51

Cold wind was breathing down my neck as I felt myself adjust to my surroundings

Cold wind was breathing down my neck as I felt myself adjust to my surroundings. The frame of the windshield held surviving shards of glass that were trying to stay in place. Despite their efforts, the shards were no match as I could hear the delicate sound of gravity forcing them to fall inside the interior of the car.

The wind was harsh against my skins as it let itself in through it the now empty space of car's framework. The glass had given into a beating that it couldn't fight against. Despite its best efforts, it had failed. It was not good enough, no matter how much it thought it was. No matter how much it tried to be. It was supposed to stay in place and protect me, but the glass was unable to give me  the protection it was meant to.

Now that my filter had gone, I was exposed to the cruel outside world and it was cold.

I tried to adjust to my surroundings, but my head was spinning like we were still driving.  Everything felt like it was moving and nothing seemed the same anymore.

"Charlotte," I heard someone say.

I felt something in my right hand. I looked down to it from where my head was drooped against the frame of the car. For a second time, I felt something squeeze my hand. I tried to move it, but I couldn't. My whole body ached and groaned like it wanted me to know it was pissed off. Yet, I was still trying to figure out what had happened.

What had happened?

"Charlotte?" I heard the voice say again.

I forced myself to strain my neck to look upwards. I was slouched slightly in the passenger seat and it hurt to look at whoever was trying to get my attention.

"Don't move." They said, but It was too late.

I already had shifted my body upright, turning my head to look to my left. I let out a shaky breath as I saw Billy's upper body leaning over the steering wheel. His seatbelt was the only thing that had probably prevented him from being propelled through the gap where the windshield used to be. His head was bloody, blood had trickled down from his forward and stained his neck. He was not okay. He was not fine. Nothing about this was fine.

I was about to reach for him. I needed to shake him. I wanted to make him respond. My mind jumped to the worse case scenarios as I looked at him powerlessly.

"Don't move, Charlotte." The voice repeated. "He's all right, he's breathing. We checked his pulse."

I let out a sigh of relief. He had a pulse. His heart was still beating. He was still breathing. He wasn't dead.

"Charlotte, look at me." The voice said again.

I forced my eyes to look away from Billy's lifeless body. Soon my crystal blue eyes focused on a pair of hazel eyes. My senses slowly gave me permission to try and gather  the pieces of information together. I felt my mind go round in circles as  I registered familiar dark  hair and   hazel eyes. An unfamiliar concerned gaze was fixed on me as the persons eyes were furrowed together. I looked at his eyes and realised it was Sebastian.