Chapter 32

"Mom, I need to tell you something concerning Suki's biological father."

Those were the first thing Kenma said the moment his mother answered his call. He didn't say it in a roundabout way because there are times when he doesn't like dragging on things and would rather stick to the point.

Although Kenma did think about how his mother may take the sudden statement, and for a few seconds there was a still silence that linger at the other of the line that's starting to make Kenma worried. But before he can say anything, his mother spoke.

Her words were simple and clear, like Kenma's, she didn't say it in a roundabout way, albeit it was rather vague.

"I know," she said. "About her biological father."

"How?" Kenma asked, his mind trying to comprehend his mother's words and trying to make a sense out of it. "You knew and you didn't tell me?"

"No," she said, her voice low and almost above a whisper. "I didn't know the man personally, I haven't met him nor talked to him, I only know his name."

It was Kenma who knew the man, have met him and talked to him and he hasn't told his mother when she was the one who should know more than anyone else because Kana is her daughter and Kenma is just Kana's brother.

And Kenma thought, if there was someone who should feel betrayed, it should be his mother. And he still hasn't told her about the test.

Though the moment she uttered his name, Kenma doubt the result will make much of a difference.

"Aihara Mori,"

He suddenly leaned to the side, propping his hand on the counter just to support himself up. He knew the man might be Suki's biological father, there's a ninety percent chance of that being true. But Kenma is holding on to that small percentage that he might not be.

Though if he isn't, and there's some other man out there who might be Suki's biological father, Kenma would rather accept Aihara Mori as Suki's biological father. At least he knew the man, albeit not on a personal basis, but he knew him and has met his family.

"Was it a year ago," Keina's voice was what pulled Kenma out of that brief reverie as she spoke. "When I was cleaning our old apartment, I found a letter address to us. It was from your sister. It took me a while to muster up the courage to read the letter and there I saw his name."

"A letter?"

It was Kenma's first time hearing of such a letter from his sister. He had not the slightest idea, that all those times when his mother would come to visit for the last few months, she had been torn between telling Kenma all about it or keeping quiet.