A Phone Call...

Narrator's POV

Laying on his bed in the bedroom he was renting at Blue Star Hotel, the Earl of Phantomhive let his tears flow.

Ever since his brother had returned and accused him of the Sphere Music Hall murders, fleeing Scotland Yard's custody, dinner at Lau's and the train ride from London to Brighton, the nearly fourteen year old boy was overwhelmed.

Why would Ciel do all this?

When he first made his appearance, the older twin had lavished praise and assurances on him but the more he spoke the more mocking he had become to the point of framing him for dozens of murders.

His tears flowed freely now, the crystal-like droplets rolling down porcelain pale skin and landing on the cream-colored pillow under his head.

All of his memories of Ciel were positive, they never fought, rarely even disagreed and while his brother had a mean streak like no other, it had never been directed at him before.

Burying his head into the pillow he began weeping.

This was so pointless.

The young Earl was skilled at games, no one ever beat him...besides Ciel and father.

Father beat him at games because he had years of experience at reading people and being calculating.

But Ciel always beat him, not because he was better at the games, but because he could read Astre like a book.

So the blunette knew it was only a matter of time before Ciel beat him now.

He was probably teasing him, dragging him along just long enough to make crushing a victory out of him even sweeter.

Astre did not really care about whatever game Ciel thought he was playing now, he just wanted to go home.

But most of all he wanted to know what he had done to anger his twin so much during their years of separation, if the bizarre doll was even truly Ciel at all.

Looking at the bedroom door, he knew Sebastian was busy investigating the servant's quarters to look for where the stolen blood was being stored.

So, the teen got out of bed and made his way out of the room.

***

The hotel was luxurious and had everything a rich traveler could want.

Including a room dedicated to the single telephone so travelers could call home.

Telephones had only existed for about thirteen years at this point, so it was mostly a plaything of the rich with how expensive they were.

There was one in Phantomhive manor and one at the Phantomhive townhouse.

Rotating the three digit telephone number into the telephone, he listened to it ring for a minute or two before it was picked up.

"Phantomhive residence." A voice Astre knew to be Tanaka's said, "May I ask who is calling and what they wish to convey to Earl Phantomhive?"

"It is me, Tanaka." Astre whispered, looking at the door in case Sebastian barged in out of nowhere, "I want to talk to Ciel."

"Very well. Wait here for a moment." The steward said

There was a silence for about five minutes, leaving Astre alone with his thoughts.

He considered hanging up every few seconds, knowing Sebastian would get angry if he was discovered doing this or missing from his room.

Memories of Germany flooded his mind, remembering how angry Sebastian got when he had tried to come to terms with his trauma.

But he needed answers right now, and his brother —if that was even his brother— was the only one who had them.

"Have you called to give up on our rivalry, baby brother?" Ciel asked, his tone mocking

Astre was silent for a few moments, "Is this what this is to you, Ciel: a rivalry?"

"What else would it be? It is a good old fashioned sibling rivalry." The older twin laughed

"I see." The younger brother tsked, "And what, in your mind, did I do to warrant this 'sibling rivalry'?"

Ciel replied immediately...eagerly, so eagerly that Astre felt his shattered heart crack even more, "That is because we brothers have never so much as quarreled. Sure we have had childish disagreements, of course. That is why I am beside myself with excitement at the idea of having a serious fight with you, my little brother!"

Astre was shocked, trying to keep the tears brimming at his eyes out of his voice, "Then that confirms you are not really my brother, just using his stolen corpse and I will begin to treat you as such." His voice cracked, a choked sob coming out despite himself, "The real Ciel loved me enough to never fight with me because he understood that we were a team. He would have comforted me after the hell I have been through during his absence and tried to help me, not mock me, fight me and hurt me."

The older brother was surprised by his words, if his silence was anything to go by.

The younger blunette was about to hang up but Ciel suddenly shouted, "No! No! Astre, I am sorry!"

"What changed your mind?" Astre asked

"You are right, I have been a terrible brother. Please tell me where you are and I will come get you." The older twin frantically said

"Why should I?" The younger boy inquired

Ciel whimpered, "I will make it all better and fix everything I did! I just want you back! The rivalry was a stupid idea!"

"How do I know you're not just tricking me?" Astre asked

"I was never going to let you be arrested, no Phantomhive would ever serve jail time I would not allow it. I was just trying to keep you, and more importantly the demon, distracted while I tried to get him away from you." Ciel answered

Astre but his bottom lip, "So if I tell you where I am you will take back everything you did?"

"Yes. I thought you were going along with the demon, but if you're wanting my help then I will come protect you. Where are you?" Ciel asked again

"I am at your hotel in Brighton." The younger twin said, almost whispering

"I see, I will be there in a few hours, by morning at latest." Ciel promised, "Be ready to escape."

"I will be." Astre softly said...