Chapter 2: Standoff

Maihark, Qua Toyne Principality
Maihark Defense Knight Corps

A black haired woman in her mid 20s, a captain in the Maihark Defense Knight Corps, Ine, was clad in knight armor, just as she received a report to immediately return back to Maihark HQ from her post. The reason was about the unknown objects that are closing in on Haihark. She ran through the more peaceful marketsides, sword on her left side hip, and with a visor pulled up on her helmet, only knowing that these unknown objects could be either the saving grace or the burning grave for her country. Behind her, her subordinates running behind her tracks in a rushed coordinated panic, with sweat running down their foreheads inside their already hot helmets. The weather was also partly to blame, as it was sunny outside, with temperatures of up to 27 degrees celsius, even at the end of February.

The small knight formation burst the doors open to find a large table where some commanders were seated.

"Sir! We have received reports from our post that unknown objects are headed for Maihark! Waiting for further orders." Captain Ine saluted to the base commander, who sat at the far end of the table.

"Good. Your orders are to quickly have all forces position themselves for the defense of this town. There is no telling what the intention of those unknown objects is, but we will assume they are hostile, with ill intentions. Get moving." The base commander saluted back while giving out orders.

"Acknowledged," Ine said as she turned back to her subordinates.

"Man the anti-wyvern ballistas!" The female Captain ordered as she sprinted to the armory, her subordinates and men doing the exact same. With a crossbow in hand and aiming towards the sky, she could see the two unknown objects finally arriving, marked with the emblem of a yellow star in a circle, surrounded by red as well as two other red bars. Although high above, she could barely make the numbers on the unknown objects with squinted eyes, as they flew at a much lower attitude than was to be expected, but still high enough that the anti-wyvern defenses wouldn't reach them.

"9621 and 9637...very particular numbers,"

She could also see that the 12 wyverns from the supporting 6th Wyvern Squadron, stationed on the eastern border, were chasing the two objects as the objects flew by at such speed no one could comprehend.

"Damn, it's faster than our own wyverns. No way we can even shoot or have our wyverns catch up to them. It's a losing fight if these objects are Lourian affiliated."

The Maihark Defense Knight Corps, including herself on the ground, saw as the 12 wyverns created a massive fireball to explode those objects out of the sky. However, the fireball came short of its target, just under 3/8ths of the way to their targets as the objects sped away even faster than they were when they were passing by Maihark. She had heard about the speed of sound before, and she concluded to herself that those flying objects broke the speed of sound, something of which no other nation so far could do, not even the likes of the Parpaldian Empire, considered to be one of the reigning "superpowers'' of the world with their mighty wyvern formations, or the Holy Milishal Empire who used the technology from the so called "Ancient Sorcerous Empire'' to reverse engineer military hardware such as planes for their military, with mixed results.

All of these factors considered made the female captain anxious. With her deduction of the objects breaking away from the city, she concluded that their main objective was reconnaissance, as they were viewing what was of the city from the air. What and how that reconnaissance could be used against them in the near future she could not tell, but she is certain that they managed to get the most of the city and could exploit it should they choose to attack in the near future. Ine pulled out her magicom to relay to the 12 wyverns.