Fifty-One

I wake up to find the tv on and Nico still on my shoulder. Jason was off somewhere in the kitchen based off the smells. I carefully move Nico's head to lay on the back of the couch, than stand up. Clasping my hands over my head, I stretch and hear my back pop. "God, you sound as old as B."

"Thanks." I rolled my eyes and step into the kitchen. "You sure know how to flatter a girl."

Jason smirks at me. He goes back mixing the eggs on the stove. "Is Nico a vegetarian? Any food allergies I need to know?"

"He ends anything and no food allergies." I shook my head and sat on the counter.

"He seems to be very comfortable with you." Jason nodded towards the boy in the living room.

"I hope so. I see him as a brother." I smiled softly at my feet. "I try to take care of him. I owe him that much."

"Owe him?" Jason asked. He looks at my face then shakes his head. "Never mind."

"It's just that he's been through a lot and I feel like it's my fault."

Jason turns around and furrows his eyebrows. He walked over and stood between my legs. "I doubt that he blames you. It's obvious he cares for you. He's not plotting something against you. You both feel like siblings to each other."

"Probably because I'm the easiest one to find." I sigh. "Two are  dead and the other doesn't stay in the same spot for more than a day or so."

"He could talk to the ones who have passed, his dad is literally the god of the dead. And if he really didn't want to talk to you he would have found the impossible one. He chose you and wanted to talk to you. Nico doesn't seem to be the type to talk to anyone unless he is super close and comfortable with them." Jason cupped my cheek and looked into my eyes.

I didn't say anything, I didn't know how. I was just trying to make up for the person I ripped away from him. How will I ever be good enough? I know the pain of losing a sibling, as a demigod I know the feeling well, but it hurts more when it's your own blood. Someone taken too soon, before they ever got to live. I was also the reason he ran away. Every problem he has now, it's because of me.

"If you guys are going to make out please do it in the other room." Nico rubs his eyes in the door way.

I blushed but Jason laughed softly. He turned around the stove. "You want some eggs?"

"I'm not hungry." Nico shook his head.

I stared at him, as he watched the eggs cook. "Yes, his is."

Nico glared at me but I shrugged. I grabbed the plates from the cabinet and put some eggs on the top plate. Pushing the plate in Nico's direction, he made no attempt to grab it. "I'm not eating those."

"You need to eat. He made eggs for you so don't let them go to waste." I shove the plate towards him one last time. "He's a great cook. And I'll tell Will."

"Snitch." Nico rolled his eyes and took the plate.

"You can go sit at the table." Jason gestured to the other room. After he was gone, Jason turned to me. "What did you say?"

I smiled, taking my full plate. Standing on my tippy toes, I pressed a quick kiss to his cheek. "Thanks for the eggs, Jay."

After we had breakfast, I excused myself to change out of my pajamas. On my way back to the table I hear the boys talking. Nico cleared his throat. "You know if you hurt her I won't hesitate to kill you. And I have a powerful say in where people go after death. It doesn't help that Percy is Hades's favorite."

"I won't." Jason says.

"You better not. Percy is too good for you and the best cousin ever. She has been through hell and it's my fault. And I'll be damned if she gets hurt. She deserves the best. She's practically my sister. You let any harm from your mortal vigilante world come close to her, or you yourself hurt her, in any way, shape or form, I won't hesitate to do the same to you ten times over." Nico growls. It was heartwarming to hear that our sibling views towards each other are reciprocated but I would prefer if it wasn't in a threat towards Jason.

"I promise, I won't." Jason didn't even hesitate.

"Good." Nico finishes and went back to his eggs.

"You're pretty scary for an eighteen year old." Jason laughs.

"I'm eighty eighty." Nico grumbles. "But, thanks."

I walk back, pretending to not hear the conversation. I'll have to talk to Jason later, because sometimes Nico's glare even scares me. But normally goes away after I remember how he acts with Bob the cat. Jason smiles at me as I sit back down. "How long are you going to be staying?"

"I should probably go back today. Will will worry if I don't show up soon." Nico rests his head on his hand like teen taking a test. It was still weird to see him do normal stuff, I normally only see him half dead or in a war.

"Alright, do you need anything before you go?" I asked.

Nico looked up at me, his hair falling into his eyes. "Like what?"

"Maybe a snack for the road? Extra Kit-Kats?" I remembered that Will said that Kit-Kats are a good power up after shadow traveling.

"No, thanks." Nico took the last bite of his eggs.

"Okay, just let me know. I think Will will have my head if something happens to you." I laugh. Nico smiles softly, before taking his plate to the sink.

"Thanks for letting me stay here, but I better be on my way." Nico nods in thanks to Jason. "The eggs were pretty good, too."

"Anytime." Jason nodded back, before taking our plates to the sink.

I got up and gestured my arms for a hug. Nico glared at me, huffed softly, then took a step forward. I smiled and pulled him into a quick hug. I felt one hand snake around my back and when I tried to pull away it held me in place. "Take care of yourself, Perc."

"You, too." I smiled, as I pulled him tighter and relaxed a bit. "It's not your fault, you know that right?"

The boy hummed halfheartedly. Then Nico pulled away and pursed his lips awkwardly. "I'll see you around."

"You, too." I ruffled his hair. It didn't sit right that he felt bad when I fell into the pit.

He turns and walks into the shadows. I walk back into the kitchen to see Jason washing the dishes. "You alright?"

Jason turns around and leans against the sink, trying his hands with a towel. "He's a scary little kid."

"Yeah, but technically he's, like, ninety." I smile.

"He said the same thing." Jason tilted his head to the side, like a confused puppy.

"He got stuck in a hotel when he was ten for seventy years."

"Shit, that sounds terrifying." Jason shook his head.

"Yeah, but I think he's doing fine." I smile. I know the Nico is not that big on physical contact so when he held on longer. And hopefully he realizes that he wasn't at fault.

"Can I ask something?" Jason stares at me. "And I don't want to pry."

I furrowed my eyebrows and gave him a look. We both don't talk about our pasts and the other one doesn't pry. "Sure."

"Why does he feel like it's his fault for you going through shit?"

1316 words

3/27/22

Have y'all listened to Tom's Dinner, cover by AnnenMayKanterit x Giant Rocks? I think it's my favorite song right now.

Anyway, was Jason's prodding out of character? I'm trying to reveal her past but I'm not sure how.

Two more things, if I make a tumblr account would anyway follow that or be interested in that? I know I said that about the instagram but I'm scared someone I know would find that. And any good show or movie recommendations?

And I actually edited this so yay me!

Pieces Angels and Stay Safe