⚘seventeen⚘

Dearest reader. It has been said that competition is an opportunity for us to rise and stand ready before our greatest of challenges. Well, if what this author hears this morning is true, then a great challenge concerning this season's diamond has been set forth, indeed. Any suitor wishing to gain an audience with Miss Edwina Sharma must first tame the rather prickly spinster of a beast otherwise known as her sister. Of course, the only competition that compels my attention is the game of courtship. So best of luck to this year's players. Do try not to stumble on the starting line.

Benedict and I sit in the drawing room at Bridgerton house. I watch over his shoulder as he sketches a bowl of fruit. Penelope walks into the room. She leans over Eloise's shoulder, who is sat at the table.

"Is that a copy of Lady Whistledown?" Penelope asks. "It is," Eloise tells her.

"I thought we were done with her," Penelope says.

"Do not discourage her, Penelope," Lady Bridgerton says. "If she has taken an interest in Lady Whistledown again, perhaps she's interested in what she has to say about the season's available gentlemen too."

"I cannot think of any cleverer way to say this, but no," Eloise states.

I sit down next to Benedict. "I do think your drawing have improved."

"I have found a new passion for sketching." Benedict smiles. "Or rather a new muse."

I laugh lightly. "Apples can be quite inspirational."

"You are quite aware that is not what I meant," Benedict says.

I look at him innocently. "Is it not?"

"Yes, but she could do so much more. I know I could convince her of it. If I were to find her this time," Eloise says.

"What you must find, my dear, is happiness," Lady Bridgerton states. "Penelope, assist me here."

"Eloise could find that with someone else, could she not?" Penelope offers.

"I believe she could," Lady Bridgerton agrees.

"And not Lady Whistledown, but someone more like... Colin," Penelope says.

"My brother?" Eloise asks.

"No, not Coli... Colin!" Penelope says.

I turn and see Colin standing in the room.

"Glad to see things have not changed," Colin says.

"Brother!" Eloise says.

"Brother," Benedict says in surprise.

"Colin!" Lady Bridgerton gasps.

"Could you set aside the latest family squabble and embrace me?" Colin asks.

Eloise chuckles as she hugs him.

"I did not expect you to return so soon, dearest," Lady Bridgerton says as she hugs her son.

"Well, I missed you all. What can I say?" Colin tells her.

Benedict hugs Colin before I do the same.

"It has been rather dule with only three Bridgerton brothers instead of four," I tell him.

"Brother!" Gregory and Hyacinth shout as they rush into the room.

"I believe we must get you to the doctor post-haste. This strange, fuzzy growth on your chin is some kind of disease," Benedict teases.

I shake my head as I hit him lightly in the arm. Benedict simply smiles wider.

"And you seem to have taken to the sun too. How peculiar," Francesca teases.