29 - And Here Comes A Bat-Lizard

"Is that a—"

"A Rakshas? Yup. Although one of the lowest levels, it's still pretty strong." she answered and looking at my confused expression, she elaborated. "We received a message from the 7th coven that a Rakshas would be appearing here, and two other places," Reizumi said, pocketing her phone in her skirt.

Ah, so that's what the message meant.

I looked at the Rakshas as I got my attention back at it. It helped to know that it wasn't paying attention to us, or specifically, me.

The monster looked a lot like a dragon—with its long neck and membranous wings attached to its giant front legs. Except, ofcourse, it had no scales. Instead, its entire skin looked smooth...like a polished jade...if jade was a little soft, like actual skin. Its tail was parted in two at the end portions that also had spikes growing out of them. Its face was long and sharp, with a black crystal-studded on its forehead, actually slightly below the forehead, between its eyes.

Didn't Quadro have something similar?

Well, in any case, it truly was a monster. A demon. A Rakshas from myths.

Except this wasn't a myth. This was no legend or a fictional tale.

This was real.

I looked up to see the dead boy's pale sunken face was now struck with fear. He held the bony arm of his mother who somehow knew what was happening and had clutched her son tightly in her embrace.

This was the first time I saw a change in their expression.

First time I saw that particular expression on any ghost's face.

Fear.

They were afraid, no, terrified to die once again.

I looked at the grim reaper beside me and waited for her to...do something. Anything.

Afterall, this was her job.

She said that she was a Grimmer, a being who protected dead souls from the demons known as Rakshas.

Yet why is it that she did not move?

Why did she not bring her claws out? Why not use the spells that had pulled me down to the ground to now instead destroy and kill the demon, to save the ghosts?

Why did she look like she had no intention to do anything except just stand and watch how it all goes down?

'The Rakshas you will be rescuing the souls from.'

That's what she had said. Did this moron calling herself a grim reaper really think I could fight...that?!

The reptilian monster jumped upon the unfinished building and held onto the pillars and floors with its sharp claws.

Can no one really see this? Was no one paying attention to all this?

Sounds of multiple bricks and debris falling along with the screeching of the monster stabbed my ears, almost making me go deaf.

If anyone else besides me was able to hear that and still did not try to see what it was about, then they must have achieved the highest level of 'minding my own business' mindset.

Plus, you know, if that were indeed true, then...humanity truly was doomed. But that's a topic for another day.

For now, more important things demanded my attention. Like screaming at the Grimmer beside me, who had covered her nose so as to not inhale any dust and dirt, and asking her—

"Oi, Reizumi! Aren't you going to do anything?!"

"Not really," she replied, shielding her eyes from the sunlight and dust, "Don't look at me like that. I'm not really a fighting specialist, especially against that ugly mug. I am but just a fair, pretty and delicate lady, don't have much in terms of brute strength. Plus it's a fuss to clean this uniform so no thanks."

"A delicate lady? More like a lady who has a great interest in bondage and sticking people to the ground!"

"Well, a lady needs to have some harmless interest, doesn't see? Not that you seemed to mind."

"I definitely did mind—not important, so you're just gonna stand there?"

"Hey, not my fault that my skills mainly involve healing and support. Ryou and Ash are the fighters but they're busy with their own targets."

"So you're really not going to do anything?!"

"Yes and no. I am going to stand here and see how it goes down. Afterall, I need to file a report on what happened here."

"Wha—How do you think this will go down? They're gonna die! Can't you atleast do that binding spell you used on me or maybe that red laser bullet thingy!"

"That level of binding spell won't really work on this one nor will the red thorn do much of a damage." Reizumi glanced at me with a side-eye and sighed. "If it helps, I did call my team but they'll take a while to finish their own targets. Ofcourse, by then the mother-son duo would become a nice cold lunch for the beasty. But on the bright side, Ash or Ryou will kill it later on."

"That does not help at all! They'll still die!" Why was she behaving so nonchalantly?! This was her fudging job, wasn't it?!

"Hey, what are you getting so judgy about? I don't see you running in there to save them"

"Yeah well, it's because I can't fight it, okay?! I have that as my excuse. I tried it yesterday and the results were my body in pieces and grass coloured red."

She pause for a moment, studying the Rakshas as it slowly made its way upwards and then turned towards me and continued on, "Okay, fine. Hypothetically, let's say I go in there and shoot off those spells and also assume that those spells did work on it a little, what's the next plan?"

I, ofcourse, had no clue.

"Stall it until the souls escape? Because trust me, those spells won't kill it," She continued, knowing I had no answer, "It'll either catch up to them eventually or change its target to us. And let me remind you, I can easily escape. You? I doubt so. Although..." she trailed off as she shrugged her shoulders and let a grin adorn her face, "you did say you can take care of yourself so I suppose you don't have a problem with that, huh."

"I—" What do I say? What can I say? It was true that I said that but it's not like it was true. I hadn't really meant it.

It was a bluff!

"Besides, I do have a plan," Reizumi said, pointing her long manicured index finger at me, "You."