004 | a day in the park

iv

iv. cause when i'd fight you
used to tell me i was brave

ELIZABETH WAS ALONE BEFORE Violet invited her over to sit at their tent.

Her sister was with the Marquees and she felt rude intruding on their date so it was nice to be with someone.

"Thank you, for allowing me to sit in your camp Bridgerton," she said as she sat down, looking over at Anthony.

She was one of the only people who didn't refer to him by his title and it always felt very casual and friendly, something they weren't.

All of a sudden, Eloise and Penelope came over, confronting the two during their conversation.

"Yes, Anthony, Lizzie, we have a question," Eloise said as she walked over with Penelope, the ginger girl looking uncomfortable.

"Anything you need," Anthony said as he poured a cup of tea for Elizabeth.

They were a lot more friendly after they had talked last night but it didn't stop them from not disliking each other. He just had more respect for her now.

He also had this feeling that he had to protect her and make sure nothing bad happened to her, in a friendly way of course.

"How is it that babies are conceived, because apparently marriage isn't a requirement and Colin said something about farms," Eloise rambled on.

Elizabeth froze, spluttering on her tea as she looked up at the girls with wide eyes. Anthony looked just as shocked that his sister would ask such a question.

"That's not a suitable topic of conversation," he said, furrowing his brow as he looked at the young girls.

"Well let's say, hypothetically, the two of you decided to have a child-" Eloise said and the two adults both went red.

Anthony cut her off, "This is the end of the conversation Eloise, now please apologise to Ada for the insinuation," he said and the girls muttered an apology before scuttering off.

When they left, she chuckled, a smile on her face, "No need to be so hard on them Bridgerton, I'm sure you were just as curious at her age," she said, taking another sip from her tea.

"Please can we end this conversation," he said, a light blush on his face.

Elizabeth just laughed, "Oh no, I enjoy watching you squirm," she said, looking up at him as she took a sip of her tea.

He shook his head, trying to keep his stern demeanour but unable to hide the smile that began to creep out.

"You really are insufferable Miss Monroe," he said, the corner of his mouth turning upwards.

"I try," she joked, shrugging her shoulders.

She had always been a very calm person and never felt confined to the stuck up aristocracy and that was something Anthony enjoyed about their friendship.

Violet looked over at the two, noticing how the two opposite personalities complimented each other perfectly, her laid back demeanour and his strict one matching.

After a while, and Daphne convincing her brother to leave her friend alone, the two discussed what had happened last night.

"My apologies for the way I spoke to your brother last night, about Berbrooke," she said.

Daphne shook her head, "Don't worry about it, I can't control the way you talk to my brother. Plus, you fixed the situation so I should be thanking you," she explained.

Elizabeth laughed, "I had to say something, Berbrooke is a foul creature and had to be put in his place," she said.

Daphne smiled, "You look like you're getting on with my brother more," she said and Elizabeth shook her head.

"You look like you're getting close with the Duke," Elizabeth said, deflecting the conversation from her.

She was about to answer when all of a sudden Berbrooke stormed over, his face beaten and red and everyone gasped at the horrific way he looked.

He announced he was marrying Daphne no matter what anyone said. Everyone began to protest when he showed them the letter saying he could legally marry her.

He seemed almost mad, a crazy look glistening in his eye as he looked at her like she was an object to claim.

"I have the diamond of the season," He announced before slamming the letter in Anthony's chest.

Simon heard everything, rushing over before being stopped by Benedict who had to hold him back.

"Bridgerton, Hastings," Berbrooke said before turning to Elizabeth and her mother who were standing by Anthony, "It's lovely to see you again Lady Monroe,"

"You dare say another word to her," Anthony said, his hand balling up into a fist as he looked at him.

Berbrooke smiled before walking off, leaving behind a group of angry men and a terrified Elizabeth.

Violet looked over at her son, watching as he stared at Elizabeth, almost like he wishes he could reach out and comfort her but there was something stopping him.

She saw what was going on between them but wasn't going to push, knowing her son needed the time after all the years in solitude.

1027 words