[18] America's Sweethearts

"How about we just hand Zemo over to the Wakandans right now?" YN suggested, earning a blank stare from Zemo and a small huff of agreeance from Bucky.

"What, and lose your tour guide?" YN rolled her eyes as she sunk in her seat, crossing her arms over her chest.

"From my understanding, Donya is like a pillar of the community, right?" There was a small hum of confirmation throughout the room, making Sam continue. "So, when I was a kid, my TT passed away."

YN and Bucky frowned, pursing their lips in such a similar way, it was nearly comical. "Your..." YN started.

"Your TT?" Bucky finished, looking very confused.

"Yeah," Sam responded. "My TT."

"What the hell is a TT?" YN chuckled, biting back a grin.

"Fine, when I was a kid, my aunt passed away," YN nodded in understanding, still hiding a smile as Bucky chuckled behind his hand. "The entire neighborhood got together for a ceremony." He continued. "It was like a week long, maybe they're doing the same thing for Donya."

"Worth a shot." Bucky nodded.

"Your TT would be proud of you," Zemo piped up. "Turkish delight? Irresistible." YN screwed her nose up in protest, shaking her head as she got to her feet.

"I need to change," she murmured, clearing her throat awkwardly. "Buck, can I..." Hesitating again, Bucky got the hint and also got to his feet, receiving a small, appreciative smile from YN. They entered YN's temporary bedroom under an awkward blanket of silence, making YN's skin crawl. "I just wanted to-" YN shook her head, already annoyed with herself that she was terrible with words. "No, I needed to apologize for what I said on the jet."

Bucky shook his head, sending YN a small smile, lifting his hand to place on her shoulder comfortingly. "No," he said. "You don't need to apologize. I know you're hurting and trying to push me away, but I won't let you."

YN sighed, collapsing on the edge of her bed. "I'm a mess..." She whispered, looking down to her hands that were fiddling in her lap. "I feel like I'm going to burst into flames." Bucky sighed, sitting next to her on the bed, covering her hands with his own. "Or cry." YN added, pressing her lips together tightly.

"It's okay," Bucky whispered, his other hand carding through her hair softly. "It's okay to cry."

"If I start, I won't stop." YN responded, sending Bucky a watery smile. "So, I better wait until there's time for you to make me your mom's coconut cream pie." Bucky chuckled, lifting a hand to wipe the single tear that slipped down YN's cheek.

"I would do anything to make you feel better, YN." He whispered, resting his hand on the back of her head and gently urging her into his arms. "You are the most important thing left in this world to me, do you understand? My only living sister."

"Bucky," YN whined, sniffling and smacking Bucky's chest lightly. "I just said I didn't want to cry."

Bucky laughed as he got to his feet, pressing a brotherly kiss to her forehead. "We might go ask around about Donya," Bucky said, standing by the door. "You stay here and rest," he lifted a hand as YN went to protest. "We will call if we find anything."

Relenting, YN fell backwards on the bed, listening to Bucky close the door quietly and walk back down the hall. The door reopened a few minutes later, after YN had thrown a set of comfortable clothes on, and Sam walked in, looking slightly concerned.

"Are you okay? Buck said you were sitting this one out." YN nodded, crossing her legs on the bed.

"Yeah," she smiled. "He's put me on house arrest."