CHAPTER 65. Charming Family

Do y'all remember when all we had to worry about in the story was Raven getting bullied at school?

Yeah, me either.

   Before we went to the dining room for dinner, Aaron warned me about a few things.

First that his mom was very traditional, whatever the heck that means, his brother Bear was still getting over the fact that Leo ended up being killed, and then he said a few things about what being a mate meant, specifically being his mate.

It wasn't any thing I didn't already know, and I had questions, but Aaron said we should talk about it more once we got to know each other better.

Weird, that part is always skipped in werewolf books.

So now we sat in the dining room, Sharon and Joe sitting in front of us, and Bear sitting at the head of the table. Bear looked fifteen, Brown hair and an angry expression. He glared at me, so I looked at Joe instead.

He looked much softer in face than his wife, and perhaps it was the dark blush that made her look harsh. Joe had light eyes and a small happy smile on his face, looking happy to just be with his family.

There was steak and potatoes spread out on the table, and Sharon took care to give me a large portion, piling it high on my plate. "Thanks, that's enough," I said weakly, there was no way I could eat all that.

Sharon laughed. "Come now, I have to have a daughter that actually eats, you're too skinny!"

I said nothing to this and stared at the mountain of food. "I'll say grace," Joe stood and smiled. "Thanks for the food and family, now dig in!" 

Hmm, I like him already. Short but sweet, the way it should be. "So, Raven, are you still in school?" Joe asked and began cutting his steak smoothly.

I stumbled as I picked up the steak knife, struggling to cut the meat as I spoke. "Final year, I'm going back to school on Monday," I paused as Aaron extended his hands.

A rosy color came to my cheeks as Aaron cut the meat for me silently.

"I hear you have some other lovers, vampires," Sharon said, raising an eyebrow at me. I froze and Aaron gazed at his mother.

"I told you, we won't be discussing that, I've met them all, it's fine." He said simply and put my plate back in front of me. The pieces of meat the size of one third of my small pinky.

"How can it be fine-" Sharon stopped as Joe sternly touched her arm.

"Enough," he ordered. A thought suddenly occurred to me and I leaned up to Aaron's ear as Sharon got scolded.

"Does it affect you when I get intimate with others? Is that a thing?" I whispered and Aaron shook his head shortly.

I nodded and went back to my food, ignoring the glares Bear was giving me. Joe gently cleared his throat. "Raven, we're happy you're here, we've waited a long time for this,"

I nodded and smiled bashfully, but of course Sharon had to ruin it. "Yes, we're so happy for a real mate, poor Leo, having a man. Have you marked her yet? I can't wait for grand kids!"

Aaron paused his chewing and closed his eyes in anger. I felt suddenly sick to my stomach at her words. I was breathing harder, I wanted to stand up and start screaming at the woman.

Seeing Aaron's arm resting on the armrest, I hesitantly touched it, turning it over. I traced the veins in his arm, leaving him to deal with his mother. "If you bring something like that up again, we won't be eating together for a very long time." Aaron said coolly.