lxxxiv. i interrupt your regularly scheduled broadcast to be serious

chapter eighty-four

─── i interrupt your regularly scheduled broadcast to be serious

          𝕻eople are always used to me being the stupid one. I think, ever since I was young, I learnt that to make people feel better about themselves, I had to make a fool out of myself. Being serious was never really my thing.

But when you're looking at the shrouds of children you knew, who were younger than you, being burnt because they died in a fight that you helped cause? I couldn't even begin to think of a joke for that.

Throughout the entire evening, I sat away from everyone else. I didn't want company, didn't want to look at someone and think that soon, perhaps they'd be dying on my behalf again whilst I was protected so that I could kill the Titan Lord.

The funeral pyres were lit in the middle of the amphitheatre and people took the time to grieve and mourn together.

I scratched at the hellhound scars from years ago, before huffing and walking away. The next days were spent treating the wounded, repairing the damage to the woods and getting ready for the Council of Cloven Elders to decide Grover's fate. That was the only time I interacted with others. I wanted to make sure that Grover was alright.

"Haven't seen you in a bit." Luke muttered, looking down at me softly. "How's the legs?"

"Still tingling." He hummed, before we listened to the proceedings. Sileus was trying to exile Grover, but was persuaded to see sense and hear evidence. Luke, Annabeth and I were called to the stand to describe the crystal cavern, before others described the weird sound Grover had made, that had sent the Titan's army underground.

"It was panic," insisted Juniper. "Grover summoned the power of the wild god."

"Preposterous!" Silenus bellowed. "Sacrilege! Perhaps the wild god favoured us with a blessing. Or perhaps Grover's music was so awful it scared the enemy away!"

"That wasn't it, sir," Grover said. He sounded a lot calmer than I would have if I'd been insulted like that. "He let his spirit pass into all of us. We must act. Each of us must work to renew the wild, to protect what's left of it. We must spread the word. Pan is dead. There is no one but us."

"After two thousand years of searching, this is what you would have us believe?" Silenus cried. "Never! We must continue the search! Exile the traitor!"

Some of the older satyrs muttered assent.

"A vote!" Silenus demanded. "Who would believe this ridiculous young satyr, anyway?"