Chapter 12

Red Hook

The next day we started training for the first qualifying rounds. Carlos took Moose and me to work on some tricks. I was catching on pretty quickly but not so much of Moose. I helped him out and he thanked me.

I met Robot, I don't know his actual name but all his movement are robotic, even when he's not dancing which is weird but also kind of cool.

I got to see everyone's strengths in dance and some weaknesses. One girl which I forgot her name, she's good freestyling, but not the best with choreography.

But I realized that at this moment I am surrounded but loads of talented dancers.

At one point in training, we had a dance circle and everyone was doing their moves and cheering each other on. I love how supportive they are of each other, they kind of remind me of how the MSA crew was.

A wave of sadness washes over me at the thought of my old crew. I wonder how they're doing at school now.

After the dance circle, Moose, Natalie, Jason, Luke and I went to the part of the loft where they're these small cushions on the walls and floor with a styrofoam pit in the middle.

We all do flips going into the pit. The pit was so soft to land on but difficult to get out of.

"Wee," Natalie screams while doing a front flip into the pit. Luke and Jason help her out. I walk around the pit getting ready to do another flip into it. Before I could get to my spot Moose pushes me.

I let out a yelp because it caught me off guard.

I glare at Moose for a second.

"Come on, Tess. I couldn't resist, the pit was right there and you were standing next to it. You made it so easy," Moose says.

A devilish idea pops into my head.

"Okay, fine. Now, will you be a gentleman and help me out?"

"Of course," Moose sticks his hand out and I grab it "my fair la- ahh,"

Moose didn't get to finish his sentence because I pulled him in.

He resurfaces and throws a styrofoam block at my face. I pick another one and throw it at his face. We keep throwing the block back and forth. We had thrown so much that a good bit of it has gotten out of the pit.

Jason walks over and starts throwing blocks and Marco while Marco was distracted. Soon everyone joined in on the block fight.

Luke walks into the room. And see's us throwing the blocks at each other. We all stop throwing the blocks and freeze.

"I'm not saying you should stop, but who's gonna clean this up?"

All of us look at each other and run away from Luke, heading to another room.

***********************************************************

That's hows the next few weeks went. School and dance. School and Dance. Those were the only things that mattered. Of course, when I had time I would hang out with Camille and Yasmine's friends, but the time I would hang out with them was being cut short.

There would be times at practice when we would goof off. One time someone messes with the boombox room and started the Macaranea, instead of working on our choreography we all started doing the macarena.

While dancing Moose danced over to me and spun me around. I was laughing so hard that day.

************************************************

One day after lunch me, Moose, Camile, Yasmine, and her friends were playing charades and I was on Moose's team and we were up.

I was trying to get the work so Moose staring twerking, just like he did in the grandma suit two years ago.