Chapter Four || School

The door shuts behind me and I turn around, startled by my mother standing there with her arms crossed. "Where were you?" She asks, but I was still recovering from the shock. "You know I'm okay with you leaving while I'm asleep, but at least leave a note so I know where you are," The woman adds, letting her arms fall to her sides. I send her a nervous smile. "Um- I got a job!" I say. Her expression changes from annoyed to surprised. "Oh, good for you! Don't forget that you have school tomorrow, though. Didn't you have a schedule change because two of your teachers quit?" My mom asks and I nod.

"Technically one of them quit because she was pregnant and was tired of our bullshit and the other one retired," I corrected her, flopping down on the couch. "First, language. Second, did they change your whole schedule?" She questions again, sitting down beside me. "Yep," I responded, turning on the TV. "That must be rough." I nodded in response to her words, focusing on the screen. Tomorrow is gonna suck.

----------------

The car came to a stop beside the main entrance and I opened the door, waving to my mother before slamming the door closed. I made my way into the building and was met with the sound of loud speaking from students. I looked down at my schedule and pursed my lips, sighing. "Of course I have chemistry first. At least it isn't math," I mutter quietly. This absolutely sucks. There was only a few minutes until class started, so I began making my way to biology, thankful that my teacher didn't change.

I made my way up the stairs before finding my class, walking in while gripping the straps of my backpack. I let out a sigh upon seeing Michael sitting in the back, staring at me in confusion. This man is literally everywhere I am. There was an empty seat beside him, so I made my way over to it, sitting down while setting my backpack on the ground. He leaned in. "Why are you in my class?" Michael questions, tilting his head. "My schedule got changed and they just so happened to put me in the same class as you, dipshit." I roll my eyes.

"Wow. Rude," He jokes, smirking at me. The loud sound of the bell ringing echoes throughout the halls and I groan, knowing school is about to start. "And thus commenced hell," I say quietly, earning a chuckle from the boy beside me. The teacher got up in front of the class and began talking about some DNA and RNA bullshit, causing me to roll my eyes. I never liked biology. The subject was always so boring and confusing.

Suddenly, something hits the side of my face, causing me to look to the side in confusion. Michael stares at me in amusement and I flicker my gaze to the ground, seeing a note. I bend over and pick it up with a hesitant look. I slowly unravel the paper and see a few words scribbled across it. They read, 'Ur dumb :)'. An unamused look spreads across my face and I look back up at Michael, who was smirking at me. I scribble the words, 'Not as dumb as you ;))' on the paper and throw it back, hitting his forehead.

I chuckle quietly as he sticks his tongue out at me, grabbing the paper and reading it. He rolls his eyes and writes something else on it, going to throw it at me, but the paper flies over my head and hits the kid beside me. I place a hand over my mouth and look away, burying my head in my arms. "Ow..." The kid drags out and I hear him shift, bending down and picking it up. I shift my gaze to Michael and give him a wide eyed stare and he stares back, trying not to laugh.

"You fucking idiot..." I whisper.

-------------------

My eyes scanned the cafeteria as I looked for Mark, unable to find him. The two of us always had opposing schedules and since this high school was always crowded, we were never able to find each other during lunch. I grimaced at the mass of people and decided to leave the cafeteria, already done with eating my lunch. I could probably just play on my gameboy until the bell rings.

I slip through the cafeteria doors and exit into one of the long hallways, the amount of students decreasing. Soon, the sound of students talking faded into the background. I sighed and made my way past two students, not paying any mind to them. Suddenly, the sound of something slamming against the locker echoed throughout the hallway and I looked over my shoulder with curiosity, my eyes slightly widening. One boy that I didn't recognize was holding another boy against the locker, blood leaking from his nose. The boy being held against the locker was none other than Mark, my cousin.