49

Nina never thought she'd find herself reluctant to knock on a door, but as she stood in front of the one to Simmons' bunk, she was worried. She'd physically injured many people but they were never people she'd seen more than once or cared the slightest bit about, Simmons was different. Nina cared about her and she wasn't prepared to never see the biochemist again, hence the apprehension.

"You know that door isn't automatic, right?" a voice said beside her, Nina turned to her left and smiled when she saw the blue-tinted ghost of her older sister.

"I know, just preparing myself for potential disaster," Nina answered honestly and Monica rolled her eyes.

"Siempre fuiste tan dramatica (you always were so dramatic)," the ghost rolled her eyes playful and Nina responded immediately.

"That's rich coming from Miss 'I'll call the cops if you turn the lights off one more time'. Dad almost got arrested because of you."

"Me!?" Monica exclaimed scandalised, "you were the one who kept turning off the lights."

"You could've just told Dad on me instead of calling the police," Nina laughed at the memory running through both their heads, "they almost arrested him for child trafficking and it didn't help that you were speaking in rapid fire spanish. I barely understood you."

"You know I forget English when I'm scared."

"I know and it's adorable," Nina teased her older sister who rolled her eyes once more.

"Puta (bitch)."

"Pendeja (asshole)," Nina immediately shot back, the pair of sisters dissolving into smiles.

With Nina distracted, Monica reached out and touched her shoulder, both women watching as the blue tint faded away from Monica's body, "puedes agradecérmelo después (you can thank me later)."

Nina didn't get a chance to ask what Monica meant by that before she brought her fist up to the door and knocked. Nina immediately grabbed her wrist and pulled it away, staring at Monica in shock. The ghost just smiled back, listening out for Simmons' soft 'come in' before saluting her little sister and going up in a puff of blue smoke.

"I- I can't even be surprised," Nina muttered under her breath, as she watched the smoke disperse, she thought about just leaving but she didn't want Simmons wondering who knocked so with a sigh, she reached for the handle and pushed open the door.

"Nina, hey!" Simmons beamed when she saw her while Nina paled.

The biochemist sat upright in her bed with Nina's brain scans littering her blankets, a pen in her mouth and a notebook in her hand but Nina couldn't help but focus on the bruises on her face. They weren't large discolourations but they were noticeable enough to draw her attention and it didn't take longer than a second for the guilt to settle in.

"Hi, sorry for interrupting. I just wanted to check in," she managed to say, pulling her gaze towards Simmons' hazel eyes.

"You're not interrupting, I wanted to go see you but Fitz pretty much ordered me to rest," Simmons chuckled, she patted the empty space beside her and with a small smile, Nina sat next to her, "how are you feeling?"

"I feel like that's supposed to be my question," Nina responded and Simmons frowned, she noticed the guilt eating at Nina quite quickly and where she wanted to tell her that she was perfectly fine, Simmons knew Nina wouldn't appreciate lies.

"All my injuries are cosmetic," Simmons explained, "a couple of bruises and a few cuts, nothing that won't heal in a couple of days. I can see in your eyes that you feel guilty but you don't have to be, I don't blame you at all."