57

S A I N T

*unedited

*unedited. please comment mistakes *

I didn't get too far before I pulled out my phone and called for more back up. I wasn't sure who was alive and who was dead back at the brothel. All I knew was that Alessandro could possibly be alone.

I glanced over at Reyna, and I found myself wondering what was going through her mind. She seemed so drawn into the view outside her window that it was like the rest of the world didn't exist. She was battered and bruised-unlike anything I had ever seen her like before.

Tearing my eyes away from her, I focused on the road.

"Reyna," I called.

She didn't respond, and I was sure she hadn't bothered to look at me. For all I knew, she could be thinking about how much she hates me for taking her out of that house.

"Reyna!" I tried again.

Reluctantly, she turned to me. Her eyes were blank and her face was neutral. I could see tears that began to dry up on her face only for more to create a new path down her cheeks.

I wanted to say something-something that could mean something. Something that I wanted to be told back when I felt like nothing. Something that was more than nothing-just something.

"I want you in my room tonight," I demanded. Mentally, I cringed at my own words.

She didn't say anything. She only turned back to the window and continued to look out as if searching for meaning. Her body curled up in the seat, facing away from me. It was only then that I noticed she didn't have a seatbelt. Instead of forcing her to put one on, I slowed down, making sure I avoided any kind of accident.

After quite a drive, we arrived back at the mansion. The cleaners were just beginning to leave, and at the sight of my car, they gave a curt nod before disappearing into their van. I pulled into my long, brick driveway and parked my car just before turning it off.

I faced Reyna. I opened my mouth to say something-anything, but nothing would come out. So, instead, I decided to settle in the silence. Hoping that silence would become her newfound friend; holding her when she felt most alone; listening to her unspoken words and whispering in her ear as she grew still.

Leaning back in my seat, I sighed. From the time I was young, I learned that when there was nothing to say, presence could be enough. The comfort of knowing someone was there could have fixed a whole lot of damage within me, but instead, water seeped through the cracks until it finally broke through.

I opened my door and got out just before walking around the car and opening Reyna's. She didn't put up nearly as much resistance as before. I only had to grab ahold of her hand to get her out of the car and follow me into the house. The house smelled like bleach, probably from cleaning up all the blood in my living room.