Chapter 8: Training

After the encounter with Inumaki, Haku had remained asleep for about two days. Vital signs were closely monitored during that period and would constantly fluctuate, dropping dangerously close to unstable more times than Ieiri could count. Upon waking, Haku's mind had been clouded and it was difficult to recall the events prior to passing out. The only thing that made a remarkable impression on the young student was that the sleep gotten during that long unconscious period of time was the first time since the incident of Haku walking home, that the night terrors did not occur.

Haku's waking had been reported to Gojo, but Shoko warned that Haku's condition was no where near stable enough to return to full daily activities, however Gojo could wait no longer. The student had to begin training with the rest of the class, and soon. Time was a valuable resource known well to Gojo, and it was one that was beginning to run short.

The first years had been out on the school's track and field area for light sparring when Gojo called out to them, "Everyone, good morning!" Wrapped underneath the teacher's arm, Haku walked along in a sullen manner. Eyes never leaving the line of sight of the ground guided along only by Gojo's grip on the kid's shoulders. The first years gave their attention to the two approaching, Yuta broke into a smile seeing his previous mission partner had made a steady enough recovery.

"Kohaku! Good morning!" Yuta called out, waving his free hand to beckon the student over.

"Good Morning Kohaku-chan."

"Konbu."

Panda and Inumaki greet, also waving. Maki remained silent, instead she glared at the two but the air of hostility that clung to her upon first meeting Haku had dissipated.

"What's this? Not even a greeting for your teacher?" Gojo Sensei dramatically gasped but it changed nothing. That did nothing to wipe the smile from his face though, "Namie will be joining you all today for sparring. They have no previous experience with things like this so I expect you all to— not hold back in the slightest! That would be rude and unhelpful. I leave them in your care, bye-bye!"

With a not-so-gentle shove, Haku was pushed forward. The force caused Haku to stumble to the ground falling to their hands and knees. Yuta and Panda rushed forward immediately to help the student up as Gojo went back to sit upon the steps and watch. It was unsaid, but every student felt bad about how Haku had been the subject of Gojo's frivolous actions lately. The two quickly asked if Haku was alright but the student remained silent, just like always. Much to Yuta's disappointment, not even a shrug or head nod could be seen. It was indeed one step forward but two steps backwards.

Maki carried on with Gojo Sensei's actions as she tossed a bamboo pole in the direction of Haku. The latter still not looking up straight in favor of the ground. If Panda had not been closely watching and caught the pole for Haku, it would've been a direct head-shot.

"Let's go," Maki commanded and she turned around to walk into the open field.

Panda nudged Haku with the pole slight to gain their attention as he handed the student the pole and pointed to Maki in the field. It seemed nonverbal communication worked best and Haku reached out to accept the training weapon, taking it in their grasp before slowly walking out onto the field. Instead of joining Gojo Sensei on the stairs to watch, Panda, Yuta, and Inumaki favored standing at the edge of grass— close to the action.

"We're on standby for when this goes south. Okay?," Panda solemnly said as the two on either side of him agreed.

Maki and Haku stood with some distance between them as Maki raised her pole, holding it out defensively in front of her, "All you're doing is blocking. You got it?"