29. The First To Fall

~Calum

I've known I was in love with Paige since we were eighteen years old. It started as a small fire lit inside of me, whenever she was around or when her name would be brought up in a conversation did I get that giddy feeling inside of me.

I remember exactly when I knew for a fact that I had fallen for my best friend. We were backstage about to go on stage for another concert of our Rock Out With Your Socks Out tour. She had her camera slung around her neck, a smile fixated on her lips as she scrolled through pictures she had taken of the boys and I before the show.

I'm sure I stared at her far longer than what deemed acceptable, but I couldn't help it. This girl had me entranced by every little thing she did and I wasn't ashamed of the fact that I was the first to fall.

After I made myself presentable for the show, I left the dressing room and walked up to Paige, not missing the way she had been sitting in somewhat of a trance. She was leaned into the couch with her arms crossed over her chest and her eyes laser focused on one particular area on the floor.

It worried me at first seeing her in such an intense state. I wrapped my arm around her body, pulling her to me and wanting to feel her close. Paige claimed that she was okay, but I couldn't help worry that something serious was on her mind.

Even as she laid against me—my lips practically glued to her head pressing kisses to her soft hair—did she stay unmoving.

"Paige, love?" I ask, brushing the hair out of her face. She looks up at me, her green eyes holding so much reluctance. "If theres something on your mind, you can tell me."

When the two of us are together, it feels as though we're lost in our own little world. There's no tour manager yelling at us to get on stage, the boys aren't around to pull annoying shit, it's just us and our fucked up lives that brought us together.

She fiddles with her fingers, a nervous habit she has that I've caught on to. This was also the first time she really moved a part of her body since I sat next to her, meaning there is definitely something on her mind.

"I'm just tired." She gives me a smile that comes off as more of a wince. "Don't worry about me Cal."

I press a long kiss to her forehead, "I'm always gonna worry Pae. You're my girl."

She leans her head into the crook of my shoulder, seeming to need my comfort more than ever right now. It's panicking and all together confusing, but I comply and wrap my arms tighter around her—rubbing her smooth arms as a source of even more solace.

"Stage time!" Ashton shouts as he leaves the dressing room, followed by Luke and Michael.

I internally groan, being far too comfortable and annoyed at the fact that I have to leave my girl. Especially while she is in such a state, concerning me to no end.

Paige removes herself from my body, standing up all together. "I'll see you out there Calum." She encourages, sensing my unwillingness to go right now.

"I don't wanna leave you." I pout, standing up and towering over the small girl.

She grabs her camera that had been on the arm rest of the couch beside us, pulling it over her head so that the strap rests on her neck. "I'll be right in front of you the whole time, promise."

I lean down to press a kiss to her lips, in which she does not reciprocate. I'm taken aback, now worried that I may have done something, but I brush that feeling off. She appears too stunned to even remember which way the exit to the backstage area is.

Still incredibly worried for her, I open my mouth to ask if she's okay one more time, only to be stopped by Luke calling out to me.

Regretfully, I leave her side and grab my bass before joining my band backstage.