30: Kitiara, the history teller

After running for a couple of miles, they reached a bay area surrounded by water and big rocks.

The sun was ready to give his place to the moon, turning the sky into a lovely orange.

The atmosphere was not stressful or depressing, instead, it was relieving and relaxing.

Kitiara smiled as she watched the last rays of the sun simmering in the water.

Many former prisoners could be seen already aboard a red and white, ancient boat.

Well, not everyone had the luxury of owning a normal boat, especially a bunch of prisoners who just escaped Kuvira's hands.

She grinned at the sight of the two benders who started as enemies and ended up as loyal friends.

" I know it might not mean much coming from a guy wearing this uniform. " Bolin pointed at his clothes.

" But I'd like to apologize for what Kuvira's put you through. " He continued.

" I appreciate that. " Baraz extended his hand to Bolin.

They shook hands with content smiles on their faces.

" If someone should apologize, that one is me. It was part of my duties to know everything related to the army. Including the reeducation camps. I'm sorry for you being captured and forced to serve Kuvira. It must have been a true torture to- " Kitiara was interrupted by Ahnan.

The water bender hugged her tightly. Feeling a bit awkward, because she was really close to her, Kitiara slowly wrapped her hands around Ahnan's waist, reciprocating the hug.

The woman patted her back before letting go and stared at the kyoshi warrior's green eyes. " You have nothing to apologize about. It was Kuvira behind it, not you. "

The women grinned at each other. " Sooo. We good ? " Kitiara asked.

" Just good ? When Kuvira goes down, I'll go to the Kyoshi Island and learn how to use those magnificent fans. You are quite the inspiration, Kyoshi Warrior. " Ahnan replied.

" Really ? Well, I'll probably be at Republic City. You can always come and pay a visit. Actually, you will be more than welcome if you visit. " The air bender responded.

She then glanced at the rest of the former prisoners. " ALL OF YOU, will be more than welcome. " She shouted.

They waved and cheered at her words.

" Well, guess this is where we part ways. " Bolin remarked.

" It's been a blast ! " Varrick laughed.

" We're heading north too. Why don't you come with us ? It's the least we could do after you saved our necks. " Ahnan suggested.

" On that hunk of junk ? No thanks. I'm allergic to drowning. " Varrick shook his head.

Kitiara glared at him as Bolin elbowed him harshly.

" I mean, uh, we'd love a lift ! " The non bender changed his mind.

They walked up to the pier. Kitiara and Bolin jumped in the boat with ease.

On the other hand, Varrick crawled in awkwardly, unwillingly causing a little commotion in the water and ended up falling on the floor of the wooden boat.

Kitiara laughed at him while walking away with a giggling Ahnan.

What an idiot.

***

" And that's when I made a solemn vow never to eat bark-onion soup again. Been six years, four months and fourteen days... Urgh ! I can still taste it. " Baraz said.