The Diamond Angel

Today's fanart is by @nyxX1437 ! It's the chapter Heart Bruise where Camilo catches y/n almost stealing the candle. Ahhh Camilo's face looks so betrayed. D: I love the fade on y/n's dress, it's so pretty! 

BACK TO THE STORY

Two weeks drifted by, feathery dandelion seeds in the wind. 

Bruno's sudden reappearance had sparked gossip behind shutters and over marketplace stalls. Wide-eyed kids revered him as a fantastical hero, home from a mysterious quest. Valeria Osma, of course, assumed the worst. 

"About that Bruno," she'd muttered without any prompting when Alma had sent you on a marketplace errand. "Up to no good. Never up to any good." Valeria had sloshed a milky-clear, glass fishbowl onto her counter. A streak of orange flickered through the murky water. "Good thing I got a new goldfish." 

You'd winced but politely nodded. The poor creature would be lucky to last a week in the filthy water. Nobody needed future sight to know that. 

All in all, Bruno had garnered the curious attention of the entire village in his pocket. Change was rare in the Encanto. So when the enigmatic, dazzlingly-new Bruno had decided to launch his theatre, the citizens flocked to audition for his first play. 

Bruno was shy and a little awkward, but he quickly won the people over with an eager, sweet personality and thoughtful words. Julieta and Pepa doted on Bruno with sisterly love, pelting him with casual gifts, warm cookies, and long hugs.

Bruno loved hugs. But the foreign sensation of hands on his back ignited him with unsure anxiety. He always stiffened like an oak tree, curling his wrists upward. He liked being touched, but the ten years of isolation had wrapped him in a sticky, flustered cobweb around people. 

With the help of Augustin's clumsy handiwork, and a necessary pouch of healing arepas, Luisa had hoisted a massive, wooden stage, just outside the brink of Casita's stone courtyard. In two days, Bruno's actors would spill onto the structure for the debut performance. 

Surprisingly, Dolores and Bruno's personalities clicked flawlessly. Dolores' peaceful silence relaxed Bruno, and she appreciated his heart-wrenching dramas. Together, they would read novels under willowy trees, mutually admiring the storytelling and passionate emotions. 

They'd inspired you to read lighthearted, children's storybooks to Camilo. Antonio had eagerly supplied his colorful collection of stories, and like a little kitten, he'd scoot close to you when you read to his sleeping brother. 

"Alright," you dramatically announced, plopping onto Camilo's bed. There was enough room to sit, cross-legged, on the mattress next to him. Antonio crawled into your lap and patiently tilted up his chin, smiling happily. "We have one about pirates, one about dogs, and one about princesses."

Camilo's eyebrows jerked up slightly at the word "princesses." You grinned evilly at Camilo. "I'm guessing you hate princesses."

"Do the princess one," Antonio giggled, kicking his legs. His contagious laugh fizzed through you like tiny bubbles. Antonio urgently whispered, "The princess one!" You obligingly peeled the hard cover open, reading with animated energy for Antonio. 

"...and with the prince's kiss, her eyelids fluttered open. She married her true love in the magic, diamond tiara, and they lived happily ever after. The end." 

"Look," Antonio breathed, his eyes rounding. He hurled himself onto the floor, plucking a glittery shard into his hand. Camilo's room had created a diamond tiara. He'd registered your words. He'd heard you. 

 "I'm gonna go tell mama!" Antonio glowed with quiet excitement, clasping the tiara as his stubby legs darted outside. "I think he's getting better!" The tiara, of course, dissolved into silvery sand as Antonio crossed the door frame. 

"I knew you had a thing for princesses," you whispered, playfully bumping your forehead against his. He's getting better. He's trying to communicate. 

You felt romantic watching Camilo. Like a guardian angel with dove wings spiraling from your back to shelter him as he slept. 

You curled up on your side, cuddling underneath the blankets with Camilo. You nuzzled your head against his neck, under his chin. Camilo's ruana felt wooly and slightly rough against your hands. 

"Camilo Madrigal, I love you," you whispered, kissing him softly between the eyes. Camilo drowsily smiled, a subtle, upward twitch of his lips. Hope rippled through your breath. "If you can hear me, just listen. I-"

The dull thudding of knuckles against the door frame interrupted you. Pepa stood, silhouetted in the door frame, wistfully smiling at you snuggling with her son. She sighed, and a light downpour dripped puddles on the floor. 

"What if he never wakes up?" Pepa suddenly demanded, the heartbroken rain sharply tapping on Camilo's floor. "What if he grows old here, asleep forever? Will you be in love with him then?" 

"Yes," you stubbornly swore, but would you? How can you love someone you can't even speak to? Someone who can't close his eyes in the blissful sunlight or even kiss you back? 

"Don't soak him, Pepa!" Alma scolded from outside the door, and after a painful sigh, Pepa tersely whisked outside. 

"Won't you wake up?" You quietly pleaded, gazing at his heavy, relaxed eyelids. Their natural dark tint reminded you of firewood and smoke. Camilo's breathing remained even and painfully slow, like weak wind on a scorching summer's day. 

"Alright," you frowned, disappointment pooling like stagnant puddles. "I'm off to meet Mirabel." You reluctantly rolled across the solid mattress, away from Camilo's warmth. "I'll see you later, okay?" 

You suddenly gasped, firmly dragged back into the tumble of sunshine covers. 

Camilo's hands tangled around your waist, locking your back securely against his chest. "Don't go yet."